Thursday

Strength in Determination

How did the pilates go, you ask? Great. I'm feeling like my ability to do more physical activity is finally getting back to where it used to be. Nick and I also worked out together at the gym. I'm going to be doing pilates and going to the gym wih Nick. Being around people that are so motivating with being healthy is such an awesome mind set.

However, I do have a funny story. Riding a bike for me is somewhat different than it is for you. My ankle is not flexible. So, when I peddle it is one flat movement. It is easier for me if the bike is set up with the peddles out in the front vs. a regular bike with the peddle right below you. That being said, Nick and I were trying to get me on a bike that was pretty hard to ride (peddle was below). I finally got on and it was a complete debacle. I couldn't stay on for very long as I couldn't keep my feet in the peddle. For what ever reason, we looked at each other at the same time and just laughed. I looked so out of sorts but I tried. I got off and just acted as if it was the bikes problem not me, ha!

So, I tried and realized that this one thing is going to be a bit more difficult but in time I will be on the road again!

You have also asked about the dog. This started several months ago with a special person who decided to take this on as a way to help me and my family. For those who aren't aware, getting a service dog takes anywhere between 9-12 months. It also takes a minimum of 3 months to even know whether or not a dog will work as a service dog (the % of dogs that actually make it is very small). The dogs actually choose you to an extent. The more time I spend with them, the easier it is to develop a relationship and see how they respond. The dogs are all trained to do a ton of things, regardless of your needs. Then, they will customize the training to your specific needs. As there really is so much I can do on my own , this is just an extra special treat to help me in those times that I do need help. Dogs will always make you smile. Thanks to everyone who is putting time into this project and for giving my family and I something to make our world even brighter! :)

The weather has been chilly here which is such a great atmosphere for reading. When I find a moment, I read (catching my mom's pastime). I have read something that I have been pondering and I want you all to think about it.

We are all trying to realize our personal legend or path, right? Then pay attention to what should be a coincidence vs. an omen or a "sign". Some don't believe in coincidence and I think I'm on the fence. Not to make this about me, but I wanted to give you some examples and then you apply it to your life.

What my family and I have gone through has been very emotionally charged and traumatic. However, the relationships that were developed in the waiting room (a lot) are ones that I and others will treasure forever. I have reconnected with great friends, is this a coincidence or god's plan? Nick was asked to be a part of Bentree at a time that it really mattered. The support we have received from them has been amazing and a great deal of the support had never met me. Coincidence or God's plan? I have gained a confidence in areas I never had before. Coincidence orGod's plan? Being a private person by nature, I have had to accept my situation (from a privacy perspective) as it's not something I can hide. This has made me able to open up in areas that were hard before. I have had the chance to be with family and friends and really laugh. These laughs were so needed and I know deep down these were guided laughs by the need to be in the big picture of life.

The experiences I have had and the people that are coming into our life has to truly be an omen. This has changed me in so many ways. If you really take a step back from yourself and look at the big picture, you can still take a deep breath and smile. There truly is a reason, always. :)

My thought for you is this: embrace the coincidences or omens and let them guide you. Whatever your thoughts are on this, if you think the best and believe in the fact that "this is where you should be", things will happen.

Have a great day!

Love,
Jen

14 comments:

Matthew Whipple said...

Jen, that was a great post. You have a way to kickstart someones day. I'm so proud of you and the Pilates, swimming, bike riding, and all your communicating with all of the new & old friends, family and loved ones is creating a wide circle of people with a new outlook on love, life and the reason we are on this planet. I love you and thank GOD you are here to express yourself and your new outlooks on life. There is a reason for it all. Your bro, Matthew

Matthew Whipple said...

p.s. I can't wait to meet the dog! Any idea of when he/she will be ready for action? You're right, a dog just makes you smile and to have a best friend never argue with you is a huge perk. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing that Jen. I am sure I will reread it at least 100 times. There is just so much to digest and think about. Have a great day and I can't wait to see you Saturday. S&S

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen....you have the most wonderful way of putting into words the things we should practice everyday. Thanks for reminding me that everything has a reason and there is a reason for everything.
Love you
Margene

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the dog and to come down and see you soon! Great post and call me back!

Vashni said...

Great post! Not sure if its a coincidence or not, but I REALLY needed a reminder that I am exactly where I need to be right now and life is unfolding just as it should whether I know it, like it or not. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, I remember reading years ago that Art Linkletter said, "things work out for the best...for those that make the best out of the way things happen." Whatever your beliefs, I know you have chosen to be positive, upbeat, motivated and happy. You had other choices and I am immensely proud of the the one you made. Love from KC.

Anonymous said...

Jen...How true, I for one believe life happens and we are at any given moment exactly where we are supposed to be, whether we embrace that place is up to us. Everyday that I wake up in Edmond Ok, not a place I would have chosen, I still thank God for my life, blessings and his plan for me and trust if I open myself up it will lead me to lessons and a more meaningful life experience. Love you Jen. Pam

Anonymous said...

HI Jen, Your perspective is so right on! I, too, have always believed we need to be aware of signs and omens; you are more articulate with the idea. Thanks for always wanting to share your thoughts. Love the bicycle story. Keep your great humor and we'll laugh with you. Love you! Judy

Marilyn and Randy said...

Your post was so wonderful I have been thinking about what you said and agree with so much of it..we met such amazing people in THAT ICU waiting room..I think of the two families that we "set up camp" with..Jackie and her sister Cammy..who were their for Jackie's husband Kerry..and then Scott and his family who were there for Scott's wife, Carla. We were all connected in our grief and worry..and as the email Jennifer Moreno sent this week stated..we meet people for a reason..coincidence? Somehow, I just don't think it is that simple. Both Carla and Kerry passed on while you were in ICU..but you made it..and both of these families prayed for you with us every single day. They helped us so very much..and I believe this was God's design. He just didn't think it was your time..Why..we don't know but it will become clear one day.
I am so proud of you and your ability to take the life you were given and keep moving forward..in spite of all of your challenges. You are doing it for Kerry and for Carla..and for all of us.

Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

JENNIFER,
I JUST KNOW THAT GOD PUT YOU IN MY LIFE FOR A REASON....HE LET ME BE A PART OF THIS AMAZING JOURNEY YOU ARE GOING THREW AND FOR THIS I AM BLESSED. I KNOW THIS HAS NOT BEEN A EASY JOURNEY BUT ONE THAT WILL BRING OUT THE STRONG AND WISE WOMEN THAT GOD KNOWS YOU ARE AND NOW YOU WILL SEE IT TO...THE WONDERFUL WORDS THAT YOU GIVE ALL OF US AND LETTING US LEARN FROM YOUR JOURNEY IS A GIFT FROM YOU THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET AND WILL ALWAYS BE GRATEFUL FOR... SO KEEP GOING FORWARD WITH THIS AND ALWAYS LOOK AHEAD TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE YOU AND TO GOD WHO LOVES YOU MOST OF ALL...
I LOVE YOU,
JILL F

Anonymous said...

Jen - I so enjoyed our time this weekend. The Impeccable Pig has me well dressed today. :) Totally unrelated to the post, but yesterday my hubby and I went to see the movie you napped during on Friday. There was a preview for a movie called the Bucket List. It looks amazing. We'll have to check that one out together, you and me. It is about creating and doing that list of things you want to do before you die. It is about finding your own happiness. What a great message. See if you can find a trailer online. If it speaks to you as loudly as it did me, then be my date when it comes out. S of S&S

Anonymous said...

Jen - This was a great post. My Christian mentor used to tell me, "When you start praying, 'coincidences' will happen." I believe the "coincidences" are affirmations from God and I find them quite exciting!! Martha and I have discussed some interesting "coincidences" we've noticed in regards to your situation. They were not necessarily earthshattering but exciting just the same. I am so glad to learn you are doing so well and hope to meet you again sometime soon. Love, Patty

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen's friends-
I had the honor of introducing Jen to the famous COOPER CLINIC and she is now a member.She has made many friends there and has already amazed her poloties (sp?) instructor with her strength and determination.She will be a great addition to a wonderful, progressive health center.

Walt Coughlin