Sunday

Holding Pattern

The weekend has been good..we are in a holding pattern of sorts right now. Jen continues to be in ICU but in good spirits overall. She will have another bandage change tomorrow and we are hoping the doctor will be able to schedule the surgery to close later this week. Following this, we will have some weeks of healing and then off to rehab. As you have figured out by now, it is all day to day and very hard to make any definite plans but we keep trying to be patient and "stay in the moment" as the surgeon advised us to do.

Jen had a nice surprise when her friend Brenda Cook (from HS) sent a notebook with the blogs to this point printed...she had caught Randy before he left for Texas on Friday and Jen was very, very pleased. This is so neat and so ironical as Thy..a friend from here had done the same thing and now we both have copies! It was such a thoughtful thing to do and something we will both treasure. (The trick will be to keep printing them off but surely someone can teach me how to do it! :>) She loves to read them and to see all the encouragement that has been sent to her.

Matt and Christy were here this weekend and Randy and Ryan are still here but plan to get back to Wichita..and Ryan to Lawrence..tomorrow. Trina and Stephen Butler, good friends of Jenny and Nick, have offered us their home for a couple of weeks while they are on vacation. What wonderful people they are..She from Australia..and both of whom have been so helpful. They live near Jen and Nick and so this space will really help as we have more people come to visit. As I keep saying, it seems impossible to beleive I have been here since March 23...most of the time it seems like it has been months and then others, it feels like yesterday when Nick phoned to tell me how sick Jenny was.

We had a great evening with Marie and Nick's son Matthew last night..my "boys" jumped with him on the trampoline he received for his 9th birthday and tried to talk Marie and I into joining them but...we rightly refused. Randy cooked for us on the grill and we all shared laughs and stories. Jenny was with us in spirit..Nick left to be with her and show her some of the pictures we took.

As always, thanks to all of you for all you have done. We apprecite every single gesture of kindness and every single prayer and card and gift and call...I again need to thank Connie for the gift of this laptop..as Ryan told me today.."Wow Mom..You are so lucky"...and that I am.

All for now..we need to be to the hospital early..I will check in again soon.

Love, Marilyn

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, I had such an awesome weekend with you! I am in the hotel room with mom and dad right now just talking about life, school, and the future. I will see you in the morning. We are staying until Wednesday or Thursday, and then I start a summer semester. I'll be up here as much as possible, I promise. Love you and see you in a few hours.

Martha said...

Marilyn is so right when she says how fortunate we are to have such wonderful support from so many people. I am so grateful for all the kind acts and look forward to thanking everyone soon. Time gets away from me, but there is not an hour that goes by that I don't say Thanks for all your friendships. Walt I really must say thanks to you for being so deligent in bringing dougnuts to the hospital every day!! You have been so special to our family. I plan on returning to Dallas this weekend and can't wait to see you Jen. I pray the surgery goes well and we can start the next step soon. Love and miss you!! Mart

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen!!

It was so great to see you and spend so much time with you Friday afternoon. I had so much fun and left in better spirits than I arrived. You have that affect on people - you make them better for knowing you.
Have a good week - I'll be by soon for some more girl talk.

Patricia

Christy Whip said...

When I read the blog, it makes me realize how lucky I am to be a part of this. I know I said lucky but that is how I feel... among other things. But in everyday life you do not get the chance very often to see something miraculous and I have. I have been able to witness TRUE LOVE and TURE COURAGE from people in my life, which I know personally. I know this is one of the most tragic events a person/family could go through. But for me, being an outsider and just starting to get to know you and your family I am able to see how many people love and care about you. This in turns shows what great character you and your family possess. The love you have given to so many people over the years shows in the messages, those people truly care about you and your family. Jen, you are by far the most amazing woman I have ever met. I am so glad we visited you on New Year's Eve and in early March, I am so fortunate to have met you and Nick. I can understand why so many people are sending their love and praying for you. Please let me know if you need anything.
God Bless

randy said...

Hey Jen its your uncle Randy just checking in on you. I am so happy to keep getting news of you getting a little stronger each day. I think of you, Nick,your Mom and The Duke (Randy Whipple) all the time. Work on getting your strength up, I dont mean to sound like a football coach, and just keep being Jen. I have heard of some people who read the blog everyday but havent sent snything in or maybe like me have trouble sending something in. Well here is my idea of the month and it is for everyone who is reading or has posted. I dont know if everyone knows this but Jen is going to have a birthday on June 9 2007. I was thinking how great it would be if all of us could give her the card shower of all time. I just wonder if everyone who has read this blog would send in one card how many that would be. Could we hit a 100 birthdays cards. Maybe this is a cornball idea but I think getting a birthday card from everyone who has looked at this blog would really be something.

Ann Coughlin said...

What a great idea Uncle Randy has to send birthday cards to Jen from all the people who have come into her life because of this blog. There are so many people waiting on the sidelines to help when they can, but for now the love and encouragement from everyone is the only way we can show Jen and Nick and their families how much we care and how much they are in our
thoughts and prayers.
Jen, you will soon be on your way to rehab and another chapter in your life will begin. You will have all the love and support continue as you start your rehab to regain your life and independence.
What an inspiration you have become to so many people, and I suspect many more to come.
Hope to see you this week. Cecile and I will be checking in for a visit.
Ann Coughlin

Cecile Brownlee said...

Hello to all of you....I have to say that Ann Coughlin just put into words how all of your friends new and old feel about you. You are the most amazing and inspirational lady I have ever met. And I totally agree with your Uncle Randy about the birthday card idea. Birthdays are so special and we want to make this birthday even more special than any before. We all have so much to celebrate, because you have fought the best battle anyone could every fight in their life...And with the help of your loving and devoted husband Nick, your wonderful parents and charming brothers...Then there is your aunts, uncles, Grandmothers and all the Muffies....And the list goes on and on. We all look forward to helping you continue this recovery every inch of the way. Ann and I will see you soon.
Love,
Cecile
PS:Ann and I look for any left over donuts when we arrive in the waiting room to see the family. They may not be the freshest but they are still good.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

It's 12:45 am on I guess early Tuesday morning. I have just gotten off a marathon conference call that started on Sunday at 2:30 pm. Yes, that's right, we have been going almost non-stop with an hour and half break to take a nap (deployment issues).

Anyway, wanted to send a quick note to tell you I'm thinking about you and I will be back up there soon as I can to see you with another Sonic Cherry Limeade. :)

Signing off for the night. Sweet dreams.

Love,
Tired T'boz'

Windy said...

Jen - It is so wonderful to hear that you are getting stronger. Please know that you and your family have been in my prayers since the beginning of your ordeal. You are truly an inspiration to us all.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Hi its Jennie Taylor (Doan) from back in the day of big MHS. I recently heard about you developing Toxic Shock Syndrome. It is amazing to read about the condition and to see how you are triumphing the impossibilities! It sounds as if you are in the greatest hands. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I look forward to following your progress and hearing about all your future successes!
LOL, Jen (Doan) Taylor

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to say it is exciting to see answered prayer. Keep up the good work, Jennifer and to all of you, "Keep looking up!!" Patty

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, It sounds like you are getting stronger and stronger each day!!! You are one of a kind Jennifer and you inspire everyone around you...That should make you feel really good. I keep praying for your strength every day and know that God is truly with you!!! I can't wait to see you again, I miss that pretty smile and bright light that shines in your eyes.
With all my Love, Jill F
P.S. I love that there are so many people from high school that are posting on this blog, I hope everyone that has been reading this is doing well!!!! God Bless

Anonymous said...

MOTHER MUFFY HERE....CHECKING IN
You made my day when you called and sang Happy Birthday to me in the sweetest and strongest voice. I can tell...even after this last hellish surgery that you are getting stronger each day. I look forward to the day you will "blow this pop stand" for another step into your future. I will be there to give you another massage.

Moe, please post the birthday date and the address on the main blog, as i am still "blog challenged"
Keith is home and we are enjoying getting to know each other again, the sun is shining this morning as we have had some flooding in the city, we are ready to see sun! I know you are too.

Be strong little wanna be....summer has just begun and I still am convinced we will get a boat ride this summer. Love to all the family and especially to you. Love you, gaylin