I was was entering a building in downtown Dallas (after 15 minutes of trying to park) when I hear someone yelling. I didn't really give it much attention (if you spent much time downtown you would know why) until I walked in and was told I was going in the exit and had to go to the front of the building.No big deal but I was thinking, signs would be nice. I'm sure I was the 100th person of the day to do this.
Anyway, I reverse my path and soon realized the guy who had been yelling had been yelling at me. He had obviously designated himself as the head of the welcome crew!
The closer I got to him he asks "do you not speak English?" Ha, apparently everyone responds to his yelling. :) Since I didn't he thought I didn't speak English. He had been trying to tell me I was going in the wrong door. Shame on me, right?
Well, not so fast. The whole time I was conversing with him I had my arms crossed. As I head in, he proceeds to let me know exactly how many steps I would be walking up (17 to be exact) and where to go. I let down my arms to wave and say "thank you." You would have thought he saw a ghost. He saw my hands, or lack thereof, and was visibly bothered.
My immediate thought was to say something and then I realized: he doesn't know any better and it is human nature. Consider your situation, sources and intellect of the circumstances you face. I was appreciative of his help.
Good thing I didn't react or let it get to me because I needed my energy for the next obstacle. For starters, I hadn't had coffee, not a good thing in my world. I am walking into the parking garage that took me 15 minutes to get to (and I only had to go across the street) when I start realizing I may have difficulty getting out. I get in the car and drive through a maze. I get to a gate and it's not for visitors. UGH. I had to back up and turn around while cars are entering and go the other way. Really convenient.
I finally find another way out. But, your not going to believe, it was $5 and I only had $4. I can't use the debit card in this particular machine as I can't pull it out, and they didn't have anyone to monitor the gate. Solution? There was a # to call for emergencies but I'm in a parking garage and no cell reception. What genius came up with this plan?
I finally got enough reception to have a 30 second conversation and ask that someone help me. The only good part is they took $4 instead of $5 but they took a bit of my mind too. She said they should have someone to monitor the garage 30 minutes after I would get out. Big help.
Whew, finally made it home but what a morning. I strategized, held my thoughts together and tapped into my zen all before 9 AM.
My true thoughts on this? If you can keep a secret: I was paying a speeding ticket. Maybe this was someone telling me to slow down!
Love,
Jen

5 comments:
Well, I am speechless! But, as usual, you find a way to make a crazy situation into a life experience with a twist!
Glad you are home safe and sound!
Love, Mom
Cool graphics!! Is that what the Dallas parking garage looked like? Great post!!
Oh Dallas... I miss you Jen, and I'm looking forward to seeing you and Nick VERY soon! :) Hopefully you guys are ready to party!
Jen - I'm so happy you and Nick are doing so many fun things. Loved your blog. Look forwardto seeing you soon.
"Hugs"
Gram
Jen, sorry you had to endure that madness. It's always a test & you passed. In a perfect world we won't have parking garages, we'll have lots the size of Colorado that you just pull into and walk in. As far as that guy, he doesn't know any better and the entry and exit authority has gone to his head I think. Attn: Garage guy- help instead of harm & you'll see your days more gratifying. Doubt he's reading this but oh well. Good post Jen!
Post a Comment