Monday

How Not to Draw Attention

First, I want to say that my uncle Randy really raised the bar with his one night stand joke on the last post. :) For those who don't know him, he can make you laugh at just about anything. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Okay, so Friday night Nick and I got great tickets to the hockey game. We get to the gate and start to go through the metal detector. Nick walks through just fine. I, on the other hand, wasn't so conspicuous. It was as if I had a few machine guns. As I was beeping like crazy I kept saying "I got nothing" and could not figure it out. Turns out, Fred & Ginger wanted to make a real debut at the hockey game. Nick graciously told security that I had prosthetics and we figured out that it was the metal under the skin. We definitely had a good laugh and good beer after that one!

Along with pilates, I am taking up the art of swimming this week. I am really encouraged to be doing this. It has taken a bit to find the right place/person. I think the two of these together will help me in so many ways. By the way, if you haven't heard, read up on the girl who is trying out for the Olympics and doesn't have legs. How inspiring is that! I really hope she gets in.

I have also been cooking lately. This has been an issue, as you can imagine. However, I have had a friend of mine spend time with me and discovered several ways of doing things.

For those of you that have seen You, Me and Dupree, this is a sense of getting my "ness" back. You have a lot of those moments going through this kind of thing. I used to wear heels, now I wear flats. I used to spend time with my hair, now I shop for hats. It's things like this that create a new you and the "ness" comes back. Once you get in your mind that your creating a new you, it becomes kind of fun. The only thing that will hold you back is your determination and love for yourself.

I am really excited for tonight. Nick & I are going to see BEN HARPER at The Majestic. We used to do a lot of this before I went into the hospital. It's starting to feel like everything is getting back to where it was before the big day. :)

Nick, my dad, little bro and uncle are playing in a golf tournament this week to benefit Limbs for Life. It's a great organization that benefits people/third world countries who can't afford prosthetics. This is a sore subject for me so I won't ramble other than to say it's a really great organization.

I had a great visit this weekend from my mom, grandmother and aunt. We played Trivial Pursuit and little Matthew had so much fun. It was a great weekend. My mom is spending the week with us which will be great.

Have an awesome day!

Love,
Jen

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

We think about you all the time. Miss you and can't wait to see you at the dog walk on Saturday. I promise, no metal detectors. Sorry we were out of touch this weekend. Jake had an ear infection, I had 15-20 loads of laundry backed up, and Jenny got her ears pierced. Loving that extra hour of sleep though. Talk to you soon. S&S

N- said...

Any day I start out with your blog is an awesome day, Jen!

Isn't discovery wonderful?! Feeling the full range of emotions (joy, frustration, anger, fear, insurmountable love, compassion, etc.) is what makes us feel truly alive. Sometimes feelings can get all jumbled up or we will try and suppress one or another, but it's hard to show one emotion without all the others emerging. Fred without Ginger?...I don't think so! You've done such an excellent job of sharing all your feelings during this process of discovery and I love watching the way you are "reinventing Jen". So many lessons for us all to learn!

You remind me of a butterfly, Jen...the hospital, when you weren't really with us, was your sheltering cocoon. You've immerged now and we watch you bravely testing your wings every day. I see your wings as iridescent with vibrant colors changing and reflecting the world around them the higher you fly. What a beautiful butterfly you are!! Keep soaring my friend. And thanks for taking us all along for the ride.
I love you,

"your self is not something you find, it is something you create"

N-

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jen,Mother Muffy checking in...we had a great whirlwind tour of Oklahoma and Texas this week, home now and ready to go back to work!
So good to spend time with you! I wish it could be weakly. I was so impressed at how strong and healthy you are and continuing to be. Loved our special time. Hope you got a nap before the hockey game!
Love MM

diane hutson said...

Howdy Miss Jen - I continue to be amazed at your accomplishments and drive. I hope you find that special swimming buddy soon...swimming is one of my most favoritist things ;)

I want to let you know that I finally did something that pushed my limits (you asked us all to do this in a previous post). I was in the Napa wine country with my sis, bro-in-law and 2 great friends last week and they all wanted to go on a hike...something they do all the time, but me -- never. As we started out on the trek, I was having a great time and enjoying the beauty of the trail. Then, we started going up the mountain. The climb got steeper and steeper and with each turn I saw a bigger hill to climb and started moaning and whining about having to climb another one. But, I kept putting one foot in front of the other and continued on. I had to stop several times to catch my breath (and ask if we were there yet ;) )but I was determined to finish the climb and I DID!! You were my inspiration at the hardest moments and I want to thank you for being my driving force. The view I experienced from 1500 feet was phenomenal and if it hadn't been for you, I doubt I would have been there to see it.

Thank you for challenging me, sweetie!

Luv,
Diane

Martha said...

Jen, I like the new you! One good thing that has come from this experience, for me, is how much closer we have become. I must say I probably took our friendship for granted before, and you have taught me to never ever just count on things staying the same. Hope the Whipple-Griffin team wins...at least they have a ringer! Had a wonderful but too short visit...looking forward to Thanksgiving. Love and miss you,
Mart

Anonymous said...

I hadn't checked the blog in a week or so, but I'm so glad you are making so much progress. You really are a living example of courage and dedication.

N- said...

Jen,
Saw a new quote in my day planner this morning and it made me think of you...

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilartion of victory." --George S. Patton

have a blessed day,
N-

Unknown said...

Hi Jen,

My name is Christy and I live in Dallas. I started following your blog and your incredible journey back in May after a friend told me about you. Even though you don't know me, you and your family have been in my prayers.

How ironic that my birth mother (I'm adopted, so I have two moms) is now fighting for her life, in a hospital in Florida, due to septic shock which I had never heard of before this.

She started complaining of leg pain Friday before last and by Wednesday her right leg had been amputated and she was on life support.

The doctors have talked about taking off part of her hip and possibly her arms, however, she's not strong enough at this point.

Jen, I have a question for you. If she's on life support and not responsive, do you have any idea if she can hear us? She's on a ventilator, blood pressure medications, antibiotics, etc. to keep her alive and her numbers are slowly improving.

I just wonder if there was a time before you could open your eyes that you could actually hear your family and the doctors talking.

Please keep her in your prayers. Her name is Peggy.

I'll be sending your blog to my sisters. Jen, your story is and will continue to bring such hope and inspiration to those who suffer from septic shock.

I had no idea that back in May when I first starting reading your story that this same disease would actually touch a loved one in my family. God is good and I believe it was His way of preparing me for what was to come.

Wildest Blessings to you and your family, Jen.

In Him,

Christy

Marilyn and Randy said...

Wow Jenny...what a good week we had. I just read the latest post and am hoping that you will have some words to share that will help this family.
Your dad and I were so happy we could be part of the Limbs for Life fundraiser and thank you and Nick for arranging it.
I pray that you continue to become stronger and keep amazing all of us with your new accomplishments! We continue to walk beside you and at the same time..follow you as you lead the way.

Love, Mom

Matthew Whipple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Good Morning Jen,

I posted a comment back in May. I, too, am one of those people whom you have never met....but have thought of you a zillion times since I first found out about you from my daughter, April who knows a friend of yours. I am elated for the miracles bestowed upon you and yours. Amazing. Too, to know how your life is touching others blesses my heart abundantly.

On a personal level, my friend's birth mom is dealing with the same challenge. I had forgotten that I had given this friend your site. Little did she know at that time that her mom was going to have a personal encounter with septic shock. I want to thank you for sharing your story. I would have never dreamed I would end up knowing someone who is personally having to go through a similar situation with their own mother. I do believe in Divine appointments. You are!!!

One more thought. I am a Pilates personal trainer and back in May I kept thinking how Pilates would benefit you. I had even emailed my instructor ( who is the top instructor rep. for the state of TX)about you. I remember thinking how I wish I could offer my services free to help you thru recovery. But then I just let it go. I thought I was probably looking at the impossible. So can I tell you how excited I was when I read that Pilates is a part of your life???? More than excited. It is an amazing discipline and its benefits are for a lifetime. I do hope you are getting individual and proper instruction for your individual needs as that is so very important in using the Pilates system. If you ever have any questions concerning Pilates please feel free to give me a call. Too, I would be more than glad to provide you with some personal sessions as a gift.

Embracing every day from the core!
ellen marie

Anonymous said...

oops, Jen, I forgot to give you a contact address...
pilatesworx4life@juno.com

take care, ellen

Matthew Whipple said...

I forgot to mention, me, Christy, Jen, uncle Rick went to an event Sunday morn/afternoon hosted by Patriot Paws, i.e. the dog training people that are working on a service dog for Jen. We personally met "G.I. Joe", "Bo", and "sky". They were all great dogs. Bo is the experienced veteran dog. I dropped my cell phone & he picked it up and put it in my hand, then I crossed my legs while sitting and he took my shoe off for me. This wasn't his first rodeo. Jen has her eyes on G.I. Joe, who is a big white lab, but he (or) she may be a little to rowdy at this point. Whatever one Jen ends up with will be a perfect fit and it will be a great, exciting addition to Jen's life. I think everyone else is looking forward to this as well. //// Ellen, I'm sure Jen will be very thrilled to see your message. She has always been into yoga/pilates. Thanks for your kindness. -Mateo!

Matthew Whipple said...

Jen & Nick - I had a great time this weekend as did Christy. First off, the golf benefit for Limbs for Life was a very impressive one. It was at Castle Hills and was a great time. Sponsored by Brinker International, among others. Thanks to Nick, Dad,Uncle Richard. We had a blast. On the border started us off with a big lunch on the house, then there were coolers of beer, powerade, water at every hole. You could just dive into the cooler and take what you needed. Free beer at every whole seems crazy, but some people (me) need an excuse when my ball lands in wet areas (small lake). Rando & Mo left sat. morn for Wichita as Uncle Steve was in town visiting Gram and they wanted to see Him before he left. Sat. eve. me, Christy, Uncle Rick, Jen, Nick, Lil Matthew & his friend went to Banditos & had a good dinner along with some laughs, as always. I want to say again how proud and blessed we are to have Jen. She is the most amazing person in the world. I'm around her all the time and every time I'm still in awe of her. I am looking forward to going to Wichita for Thanksgiving. Christy is flying into Abilene this coming Fri., staying through Wed. and she is riding with me to Wichita for Turkey day. Well, I've got to get going and get to the office. Love all, Matthew

Anonymous said...

Jen,
hi I visited your site awhile ago and am just so happy to read all of your progress this makes me soooo happy!! ive been including you in my prayers and am also happy to say that i am finally receiving some assistance so i can get a home. It was so great to get on here and read, you are so funny my dear!!