Tuesday

Jen's Challenge

Thank you for all of the comments from the past two posts. It feels great to have so many people tell me to keep going. :) For all the people who have just "stumbled" onto the blog, thanks for stumbling. I hope to make this a regular spot for you. And for the 2nd grader who posted (at 10:52 on a school night by the way), I love caramel popcorn, just let me know when and where and I'll be there. :)

Betty from Louisiana. Where have you been? I hope your journey is getting better for you!

So what is new with me? Nick and I woke up this morning to 10+ pink flamingos in our yard. It is in support of my step son's school fund raiser. We now have to pass these on to someone else. It was a great and funny way to start the day. As this is somewhat of a slow week for me, I thought I'd put you all to a challenge.

As I have experiences everyday (questions, figuring out how to pick something up, understanding what "wheelchair accessible" really means, etc.), I want you all to find something over the next few days that you can pass on to the next person. Pay it forward. Find someone that may need help getting through a door, may need a hug, may need a few extra dollars, may need a ride, or whatever else!

Then, post your experience and watch what happens. If you don't post you may miss out.

Love,
Jen

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jen, you know we love a challenge. Funny story there, but it probably isn't right for this audience. Another time. We'll be back on once we have our Pay it Forward story to post. S&S

Martha said...

Glad to make you smile today! You should have seen the smile on the young mans face when I helped him out. I was skeptical at first (and still am a little). But I remembered your challenge and you never know how pay it forward works out. He was very interested in your situation and how you had asked people to do something kind for someone else as so many had been responsive to you. He almost couldn't believe I donated to his cause (paying rent for a night) that all he could say was God acts in mysterious ways! I miss you tons and check this blog 5 times a day. I can hardly believe it has only been a year Oct. 7th that you and Nick were married. What an incredible year!! Give my love to all the wonderful people in Dallas. Love, Mart

Anonymous said...

In spite of being a faithful blog reader for several months now, today marks my inaugural post. Any pay it forward I could do seems so small in comparison to what you do on a daily basis - both in overcoming your personal adversity and in continuing to inspire, challenge, and offer hope to the thousands of us reading your blog.

That being said, my husband and I are trying to pay it forward. We have welcomed my sister into our home. Now in her fourth month of pregnancy, she is going to live with us while we help her get things in order and when she's able, moved into a home of her own for her and the baby.

Your story is a testament not only to your own incredible willpower, but to the value that friends and family can have in helping one through trying times.

Again, thanks for continuing to inspire on a daily basis. You make us all better people.

God bless and Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

Jen,
So glad the blog is keepin' on, keepin' on! You have become an instrument of faith to alot of people.
Love your Pay it Forward challenge.
Random acts of kindness are so self-rewarding not to mention the good it does for someone who least expects it.
Can't wait to see you, and your family tomorrow. Your journey over the last six months is nothing short of a miracle and your beauty, style and grace have shown thru with every accomplishment you have made.
Love,
Ann

Anonymous said...

Yaulo...gave away three free coffees today at the gas station! Hopefully I will talk to you tonight..

Anonymous said...

JEN - Love the "pay it forwrd cahllenge", I try to practice that on a daily basis.

I hope you and Nick have a wonderful anniversary, I can remember your wedding as if it were yesterday. The setting, the weather, then the BRIDE and the GROOM. It made for a special memory
for Doug and I.

GOD Bless you as you have touched so many people with your beautiful story and the blog.

Love - Doug & Nancy Blackman.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Nick - Happy Anniversary!! Patty

Anonymous said...

Jen & Nick,
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
You've been on quite a journey since last October, but the end result is the love you all have for each other. You nurture all of us in your presence with your love and strength.
Enjoy this special day!
Love you,
Ann

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jen and Nick,
What an inspiring "Pay it Forward" I will work on that this week. As we had a Muffy weekend...I know there will be something I will come up with soon. Surrounded by loving friends always makes life easier....Love Mother Muffy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
I can' believe it has been a year! Your wedding was a wonderful time. Happy Anniversary. I love that movie Pay it Forward. For all you bloggers if you haven't seen it is worth the rental. It reminds me of what you are doing here. Have a good week. Back with you on my pay it forwards. I have lots of opportunity with all the homeless people I see at work. Love ya, Shannon

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen and Nick. We had a wonderful time this weekend. Thank you. We hope you have had a special anniversary. You certainly deserve it. Last night I caught the end of "Men of Honor" where the Navy diver who has lost his leg walks those twelve famous steps to get reinstated. It made me think of you and how the steps you are walking in life are so challenging and sometimes painful, but you endure. Well, we finally accomplished our pay it forward. Someone we know needed some time away but was having trouble making it happen. Done! As with all of the things we pay forward, we were blessed to be able and allowed to help. S&S

Anonymous said...

PAYING IT FORWARD!

Marilyn and Randy said...

Jen, as I have witnessed the love and unbelievable support you, Nick and our family has been given since you became so ill, I have promised myself to NEVER pass up an opportunity to help someone else, even in the smallest way. I have tried to live every day with that in mind. We have all been so blessed, in the midst of this terrible tragedy, to have met some of the most kind and caring people that it is almost impossible to describe what they have done and how they have helped us all... in mere words. I will continue to live up to your challenge every day and thank you for finding hope in the midst of such pain and suffering. Your attitude and ability to overcome has seemed to touch so many and through you, they have done the same. Keep up the fight..you and WE have only just begun.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Jen & Nick,

Happy Anniversary! What a year!!!

Thanks for keeping up the blog, we really enjoy reading it and keeping up with all of your progress. Nick - we still need that other dinner now that Jen is doing better! Give us a call! Love, Mark & Nancy Taylor

Anonymous said...

JEN,
I TRY MY HARDEST TO PAY IT FORWARD AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!!!!! I ENJOY DOING THINGS FOR OTHERS SO I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE...
THANK YOU GOD FOR BLESSING ME WITH SUCH A WONDERFUL GIVING INSPIRING FRIEND I HAVE FOUND IN JENNIFER AND ALSO IN SHANNON. I AM SOOOO LUCKY
KEEP TRUCKIN JEN BEN AND NEVER GIVE UP!!!
I LOVE U
JILL

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny---Love the challenge!! So happy you will continue the blog!! Thinking of you and want to wish you a Late Happy Anniversery. Lets see----Tom loves to cook out--and we took smoked chickens to two neighbors. One neighbor is my age and has many strokes--and is in a wheelchair. She is unable to talk or walk. She Can hear very well--and raises a finger to let you know she understands. Will continue on with the challenge--dear ----Love to you sweetie---Kathy and Tom

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen-
Starbucks is staring a new thing---pick up a card from their counter--do something nice for someone and hand them the card urging them to pass the good deed on--there is a number on the card that you can enter on a website and it tracks the good deeds entered by each person who has the card. Seems like a lot of work but it would be fun to see what your good deed started.
I'm so proud of you---your blog is fun to read and eye-opening in so may ways.

Anonymous said...

this blog is so fun read i read this and postsecret.com like everday! I'm glad to read your progress and see that you are not letting anything stop your success! -Francis L.

Anonymous said...

You have amazing courage. I heard about what happened through mutual contacts from Maize. You may or may not remember who I am way back from high school, but all I can say is your story is very inspiring and it is amazing to see you have overcome so much.
Sean