Friday

Stepping Back

This has been a week of many emotions. I had a really great rehab session today but discovered something about myself.

Stairs are not so fun in my world. My therapist took me into a staircase and I looked up and thought, "ha, ya right". :) I took a few steps and just kept going and going. I stopped and realized that I had walked up 3 flights yeah!. The problem was that I had to get back down.

For me, walking down a step feels like I am going to completely fall forward. This wouldn't be a surprise for all of you that know my family, but, I am trying to set a new standards. :) So my therapist and I talked it out the whole way down. It was slow but I finally made it and I truly feel like saying, "Yeah, I did it!".

Besides the help of my husband and step son, I have been alone this week without my usual support group. This has been both rewarding and interesting at the same time. I have not been alone in 6 months how lucky am I. We all need space to grow and learn but we also have to realize how special it is to have that great of a support system.

So, what have I learned? Steps aren't just steps and time alone isn't just being alone. The next time you take a step, slow down the walk and realize and appreciate that you have the capability to take that step. You may have something that someone else wished they had. Steps are just another way of getting somewhere, but not everyone can go that same route.

Time alone don't watch T.V., don't get on the computer, take time to learn something about yourself. Push yourself to new limits and don't be afraid to get outside of your comfort zone. :)

Peace and love, have a great weekend!

Love,
Jen

12 comments:

Marilyn and Randy said...

Well Jen..what a beautiful Post. I am so proud of you and the way that you just keep testing the limits of your world. We all look to YOU for strength and isn't that amazing? I am looking forward to being with you and Uncle Steve next week when he comes to Dallas. I was thinking last night that it will be 6 months on September 23 since you were admitted to Medical City and in many respects it feels like 6 years...and yet..when you were strong enough you opened your eyes and have not stopped fighting. We have all learned so much haven't we..keep it up Jenny..you make us so proud and will be able to help so many people one day.

What a gift you have to share..Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Mother Muffy....checking in, Jen baby, you sure know how to make life worth living. I am so proud to be in your life...and thank God you have a life and a story to tell. I am speechless and you know what that takes!!!! hee hee I just love and admire you more and more each day. Hugs to you now and always....are you ready for a road trip to..let's say....the lake? Let me know when. Always checking in...MM aka gaylin

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen - What a great post. You have changed and will continue to change many lives with your encouragement to us to appreciate everything we are able to do. The other day at market we had a customer come to our table. She had misformed arms that were very short and had what I would call partial hands. She had the capability to hold things. I looked at her and, knowing what you have gone through, I thought to myself, "What beautiful arms and hands." You have helped me open my eyes and appreciate things in a new way. Isn't life beautiful in ways we never expected? Keep up the good work. Patty

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
What a week you've had. Lots of moving forward (and up and down!) The next time you're looking down those stairs, just remember the graceful entry I made, and I know you'll start laughing! Just remember we all fall sometimes, no matter what kind of legs we have. (Although I truly hope YOU never fall!) I appreciate your words so much on the blog and your perspective. Have a great weekend, and keep discovering!
Love,
Kirsten

Anonymous said...

I love you Jen and am so proud of you!!!! What a truly beautiful person you are and an amazing soul you have... I will alway try and remember every word you have said and not take my life for granted even though that is not an easy task. I pray that I can love life no matter how hard it can be. Thank you so much Jen for showing me the true important things in life!!!!! God has truly blessed you and I am grateful to be a part of your journey...
God bless and love,
Jill F

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny:
I got a lot out of your message yesterday. You may have a new career ahead of you as an inspirational/motivational speaker! Why would anyone feel sorry for themselves no matter what they are confronting in their life, when you have demonstrated such great courage and such an incredible attitude. I look forward to seeing you during my visit to Dallas next weekend.
Love,
Steve

diane hutson said...

Hi again sweet Jen,
WOW - you have challenged me to push myself and get outside of my comfort zone. At first I thought, hey, I've gone skydiving, white water rafting, scuba diving without being certified, etc. etc. and that's pushing myself. But, in reality that wasn't pushing myself and those things weren't outside of my comfort zone...I wanted to do them.

Check this out...for months I've been going to the mall every weekend and walking around the whole thing (all floors and every hall) while shopping and convincing myself that this is exercise. Do you love my mind?

I understand what you're saying.

It's time for me to step up to the plate and start hitting pitches instead of just watching them fly by. Life throws you curve balls and sometimes you even get hit with a fast ball. Sitting idly by and smelling the roses is nice, but in order to fully experience the God-given forture of having life, you must dig deep inside and find joy in the things you take for granted.

I accept your challenge, Miss Jen.

Luv,
Diane

Anonymous said...

"Steps are just another way of getting somewhere..."

Great Quote


Keep steppin'

Tony Baldassarre

Anonymous said...

All great lessons. Thanks! S&S

Martha said...

Keep on steppin, Jen. And reconsider those jeans!!

Love you, Mart

sarahpoinsett said...

Hey Jen!! You are such an inspiration! Every blog you write keeps me motivated. I love reading and check numerous times a day! I really can't wait for school to start slowing down. Once I get through my art review (wish me luck!) I'm hoping to celebrate my victory in Dallas with you sometime next month! Give Nick and Matthew my love. I miss you dearly, and think of you constantly! Keep truckin!! I love you!!!
-Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
You have such great courage and strength and you are such and inspiration to everyone. God has given you such a great gift of lifting people up and showing us all that even if we look down those stairs and think that there is no way down we should just pick ourselves up, take a deep breath and take those steps. You have such a way of comforting and creating such hope in our lives. I am so encouraged by every blog you post!!! Stay strong and keep smiling!!! Love, Whitney Aguirre