Monday
Monday Update
I'm in the icu waiting room with Nick and Dad. We just heard what sounded like a commercial sized weed eater but realized Dad had fallen asleep on the couch across from us and started snoring. He literally startled himself, woke from the slumber and started laughing. He is exhausted as we all are but it was good to see him smile. Jens health is continuing to improve in minor increments. We've had a few set backs, which is common with such a severe medical situation but nothing that she won't get over and fight through. If you have been here to see Jen and have placed yourself in the waiting room with us, you know what a traumatic time this is and how hostile the infection was. Her Kidneys are functioning pretty well and producing a good amount of urine. She looked at me today and said, "Im peeing right now..then started smiling..." I told her this was the only time it was ok to pee in a bed.." As you all know, she is off of the ventilator which is a big step towards normalcy. I walked into her room last night and saw her looking through the window. I sat down next to her for an hour & a half. I told her that seeing her smile and hearing her voice, although very faint was the best feeling I've ever had. We spent a lot of time with her this morning as well. She looked at us and winked along with a "click click" sound to go with the wink. It was humorous. So, all in all she is staying strong and continuing to fight. Her determination and will to get well is something I have really learned from. I never knew that watching someone in a hospital bed could be the most valuable lesson ever learned. If anyone can come out of a situation such as this and turn it into a positive, it will be her. I love you all and want you to know that your prayers and positive energy are valued at a level I can't explain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Hey Jen, its your Uncle Randy giving you a big Shout Out from the Air Capitol City, Wichita. Since you have been doing a little better these past few days Mo-dog, she got that nick name from watching American Idol and Martha came home this past weekend. Now for the past two weeks it has been Sam, Cozmo and myself. Even though we have been trying to keep things in order, I knew it was time for some house cleaning. I do remember your brother Matt telling me about dusting with a leaf blower when he was younger. Something about open the North windows, put the blower on high and let her rip. I hope Chisty is not reading this, I would hate to get big Matt in a jam HA HA. By the time Martha rolled into town we had everything in order. She has been telling me about all your friends who come up to see you and Nick and how great they all are. Martha talked about a nurse named Alex. She said she came up to see you on her day off. That says a lot about her and about you Jen, for her wanting to come see you on her day off. Jen you are someone special. Jen and Nick we want you to continue to fight hard every day, for this is going to be a long journey and we are all behind you. Love Uncle Randy.
Chisty, I dont think Matt ever used a leaf blower to dust so dont worry too much about him.
A statement in Jill's post recently was one that has been on my mind since all of this happened. It is that God must have something very special in mind for you, Jen. You are already an inspiration to many and I believe you will continue to be so. It is exciting to anticipate what is to come while at the same time praying for the strength and courage to endure the trials you are going through at present. I continue to hold all of your family and supportive circle of friends up in prayer. Patty
To Jen,Nick and her entire loving,caring,dedicated and supportive family,
Wow...What great news Matthew shared with all of us. Matthew your message was so very special and touching. And I know that watching Jen make little baby steps is so encouraging to each of you...especially seeing her smile and have some sense of humor.
And, Matthew I can tell you that your expression of your Dad's snoring is the best. Now I have a new saying, because I get to hear that every night of the week. I can just see the look on your Dad's face when he woke himself from such a sound sleep...And Randy it is good to hear that you were able to get some rest.
All of you have been in my thoughts and prayers since this serious medical crisis began on March 22nd. I have continued to think about all of you and wondered what I could do to help you have the strength to be there for Jen as she continues to fight this unbelievable infection. Please know that I am only a phone call and a few minutes away if there is anything that I can do to help you. Martha has my phone number.
Thanks to Jen's friends for making this blog available to all of us. It has been so incredible being able to read about Jen's progress and knowing what is going on with Jen and her wonderful family.
I know that with God, Jen's will, Nick and her entire family that Jen will win this battle and she will teach all of us how important it is to be strong and have endless determination. Jen you have been a inspiration to your family and all your dear friends that you have touched in your life...And there are many!!!!
I hope to see all of you very soon and until then know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Cecile Brownlee
Ha great post! See you this weekend Jen!
Jen-
I am so elated to here of your fantastic progress. I can only imagine how much work you have done! GOOD JOB! I teared up when I read your were off the vent! Your family all means so much to me. Matt I was glad to read this post today and all the resiliance of you and your whole family. It is truly amazing how our spirits will rise to the oocasion and fight! God has definatley put an angel in your corner and I am so grateful for that. I know that you will destined for great things and I will keep on praying for you all and keep up the good work.
Love-Jamie and Craig Bybee
Hi Jen-bo, Keep taking those precious deep breaths. You are the sweetest! Throughout this ordeal your kindness, strength, and overall goodness is what is coming through. So many are praying for you. You have prayers coming from people that have never met you but would love to. You'll be a busy girl meeting everyone! Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite. Love you, Judy
Jen... I remember the first night I met you and I met your family...I had just received shift report from the day shift nurse on you and was getting ready to walk into your room to "take a listen to you" when one of your doctors stopped me in the hall and said "she is as sick as a person can be and i dont know that we can get her through this so I need for you to work hard and stay on top of things in here with her". At that moment and for the next week or so every second and every minute that you were alive Jen, you were truly lucky. I stopped at the door to your room on that Sunday night and before walking in took one look around at the wires, tubes, IV's, ventilator, and everything that was fighting at that moment to keep you alive and thought to myself...."I shouldn't be in here taking care of you, I'm not qualified, no amount of school that i had, no amount of experience I had was good enough for me to be in your room taking care of you." But nevertheless, I rolled my sleeves up and got to work! That night I gave you blood product after blood product after blood product, and was slowly able to get you off all the medications that you were on keeping your blood pressure at an acceptable level to keep you alive. I went home exhausted the next morning, so exhausted in fact that I remember forgetting to feed my dogs that morning (whom by the way woke me up to let me know that I had forgot to feed them, and whom had decided to help themselves in the dog food bag and ended up spilling it all over my kitchen floor). I came back that next night and for many nights after that and many days after that standing at your door after getting report thinking the same thing again that "I shouldn't be in here taking care of you, I'm not qualified". But again, I rolled my sleeves up and got to work. Since that time, I think I have hung more blood products on one person than I have ever given in my entire 7 year career as a nurse, I have lifted more 15 pound dialysis bags onto an IV pole than I ever have in my life (and the ONLY time I have ever had dialysis solution all over me after having poked a hole in one of the bags and have it spray out all over me, and soaked my scrubs and soaked part of your bed), and more dressing changes on your skin than I have in quite a while. (And not to mention, seeing the inside of your colon several times, and seeing the tattoo that was put there by the doctors! And not to mention the updates to your family on the inside of your colon as well =) ). I have spent many hours watching your vital signs, draining your "pee" in your catheter bag just crossing my fingers that there would be more than 30 ml's in the bag, and watching you bleed, again crossing my fingers that it would stop and you would get better (and crossing my fingers the past few days that your dad and your brother would be able to fix your pony tail so that 2 seconds later the band wouldn't fly off onto the bed or the floor and your hair be right back down in your face-- Marilyn and Martha -- GET BACK SOON -- JEN NEEDS YOUR HELP!). I have left work many days/nights after having spent 12 hours with you from running around with toes that looked like sausages, and ankles that were non-existant from swelling after having made sure all day that what needed to be done for you was done, making sure that nobody was "missing something" that would be the key to you getting well, can constantly making sure we werent doing something we shouldn't be doing that might hinder you getting well . I have been out to the waiting room several times to update your family and friends, sometimes good with a look on my face that you could just tell it was good news, sometimes with not such good news. You fought Jen-- more so than any of your doctors have fought for you, more so than any of your nurses have fought for you, and more so than the medications and the dialysis and the ventilator fought for you to get well -- and you have succeeded. Saturday when I came to see you and I saw you sitting up...way up in the bed, without a ventilator, with the smile on your face that everybody has told me about, and you waved at me, I felt so absolutely HONORED to have been allowed by your family and by Nick to take care of you and be apart of your healthcare team. All of those nights of sausage toes and "cankles" were truly, and absolutely worth it to see you smile and wave at me. Sunday when I got to work, you didn't look so good, and on that day, after having seen you smile and see the person that I have heard everyone talk about I fought harder for you than I ever had for any patient to keep back off the ventilator. While you asked me "if i was a real nurse" and if you "could see some proof" I was a little hurt, but I realized that was not you talking and I continued to fight along with you -- and it worked--- we kept you off the vent. What I am really writing to you is to say that during the days and nights of taking care of you --- I have seen your family and your friends and the amount of love and support and hope that they have for you and how absolutely amazing they truly are. Anybody in this world would be lucky to have the support system that you do. And through all of this I have realized that 100% of the hard work that was done to get you well and to get you stable was not done by doctors, or by nurses, or by medications but by YOU. Everything that your doctors, and nurses did was just supportive. Monday when I left (and i thought we had a talk about this making me work all day and run all over the hospital with you to tests and get blood products) you had a great day and I only hope and pray with everything in me that you continue to have nothing but truly, absolutely AMAZINGLY GREAT days. I know 100% that one day all of us at Medical City SICU will get to see the beautiful bright eyed and big smiled Jen that is in the photos all over your room. I saw your blogspot posted on the marker board in your room today and I know that I am not family, and I am not a friend ....but I wanted to send my support and prayers to you like so many many people have to you..and to tell you KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT JEN. YOU ARE ALMOST THERE. It is the greatest honor in the world that you and your family have allowed me to be there for you and have trusted me enough to fight along with you and be there with you to get you well, and all I can say is THANK YOU for that experience.
Alex K., SICU RN
Jen,I think we all knew that you were a fighter and after reading the message from your ICU nurse Alex K,I know that you are. Alex K thanks so much for sharing how Jen has fought all the way and for being apart of her team!!! Great job!!!I can not imagine the intensity of your jobs every minute you are at the hospital. We need more and more nurses with that kind of determination and compassion.
Cecile
Erin & I came to see you yesterday. I was so excited to see you sitting up in the chair! Your smile is as beautiful as ever!! Erin noticed that your BP went up when Nick came in the room, that is pretty special. Keep up the baby steps Jen ~ you are truly an inspiration. Nick, your strength is amazing and admirable. I pray that each day, Jen gains more strength....and we will gain strength from that.
Love, Ketrin
Hi Jen,
Oh my gosh, I knew there was something very special about your ICU nurse Alex but I didn't realize just how special until I read her message. Jen you are an inspiration for all of us and one special person. It is wonderful to see that your doctors and nurses have taken such a personal interest in your care. We are all very honored to have you and Nick in our life. Nick thanks for loving and caring for our special girl the way you do.
I love you and miss you.
Margene
Hi Jen! I miss being there with you. It was great to see you this weekend and talk to you again. Seeing you smile meant everything to me. You are amazing and my inspriration and best friend. Keep up your courage and strength and know that I am always thinking about you. LOVE, Shannon Wedge
Hi Jen, It's such good news that you are now the "queen" of ICU! Wow! Sitting up and looking around; soaking up the world outside your window. It sounds like all the nurses have fallen in love with you! Keep your uphill battle going! Love you, Judy
Hey Jen,
I'm back from my trip and I got the message from Matt that you were up and talking this weekend. I was so happy to hear that but bummed because I missed out on it again. I will be up at the hospital tonight but I know that they have put you back on the ventilator for a couple of days so that your lungs can have a rest. So I'm not sure if you'll be awake when I'm there, but I just want you to know that I have been and will be. I am working from home today and just finished reading Matt's blog and the one from Alex your nurse. I am moved to tears. You are so loved by so many people Jen. I miss you Sweetie (kaboom) and I can't wait to talk to you again. Keep fighting, I know you will girl. You are in my prayers always.
Love,
- T
God hath not promised;
Skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways
All our lives through;
God hath not promised
Sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow,
Peace without pain,
But God hath promised
Strength for the day,
Rest for the labor
Light for the way.
Grace for the trials,
Help from above
Unfailing symptathy
Undying love.
All I can say is "WOW". You are just a miracle and I'm honored to be your friend. I knew from the first day I interviewed you that I shouldn't scrap with you - I was right! You are a force of nature and your strength through all of this is truly inspirational. See you soon!
Patricia
Post a Comment