Friday

PEN PALS FINALLY MEET

This week I was so thrilled to finally meet Merlyna Adams from Louisiana and was able to use my phone to upload video, which I will continue to do! You'll need to turn the volume up a tad to hear the demonstration well. We have been communicating since 2007 and she is doing quite remarkable. She had a prosthetic appointment at Advanced Arm Dynamics outside of Dallas and I crashed the party!

On August 13, 2007, she experienced a sharp pain in her right side which revealed a 10mm kidney stone. Over the next few days, she was transferred to several different hospitals. At the fourth hospital, she remained in ICU for nearly three weeks.


Her body developed sepsis. She suffered congestive heart failure, renal failure and pulmonary failure. Sound familiar? Like me, she lost her hands and legs, below the knee, due to the restricted blood flow to her hands and feet. We chatted about all kinds of things and shared "tips". She is walking really well and is back to being a principal in La Place, LA. Watch her video here.


Merlyna is getting the myoelectric hands so I shot a bit of video for you. What you see in the video is not the "final" product as it is not covered. She was learning fast. It usually takes a long time to work out the use of these. Go Girl.

While I was there, I learned a lot about new technology coming out and it is so exciting! In my world it's like the anticipation of the iPad or iPhone. Loved the day! Enjoy the holiday weekend.

Love,
Jen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a wonderful Easter! Thinking of you, SKW

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I was so excited to finally meet you! The entire day was amazing...you are amazing. Our lives are forever connected and that makes me so happy. Thanks for taking time to visit me. The tips and hints are greatly appreciated. Don't forget to send me the websites.
Love,
Merlyna

Marilyn and Randy said...

Soooo good to have you and Nick and Matthew home..can't wait until the next time. HOW far have we come Jenny. Wow!!! Love,

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you both.