
For those who can't read this photo...it says:
"I was born without a bone below the knees
I only stand 5 ft 2
But this is the body I have been given;
This is my weapon;
How I conquer, How I wage my war;
This is how I have broken the world record 49 times
How I became the FASTEST thing on no legs;
This is my weapon.....This is how I fight"
I have read this so many times & still find strength from it.
Oscar Pistorius is the 23 yr. old South African paralympic runner known as the "Blade Runner".
I think I have mentioned him before but he really became important to me while I was in the hospital. I was watching the news with my PT one day and the entire newscast was about Oscar and whether or not his legs were providing him an unfair advantage over able-bodied runners. I became hooked on the whole idea of that debate. The rulings on this went back & forth & created a great deal of attention.
I spoke for a business group this week & caught myself thinking of this debate while talking with them. If someone who has a difference can manage and function in a setting with those who do not have a difference...then, that becomes a difference in of itself. Sometimes people just aren't sure what to do. Are you challenged or not? MMM...
I think I have mentioned him before but he really became important to me while I was in the hospital. I was watching the news with my PT one day and the entire newscast was about Oscar and whether or not his legs were providing him an unfair advantage over able-bodied runners. I became hooked on the whole idea of that debate. The rulings on this went back & forth & created a great deal of attention.
I spoke for a business group this week & caught myself thinking of this debate while talking with them. If someone who has a difference can manage and function in a setting with those who do not have a difference...then, that becomes a difference in of itself. Sometimes people just aren't sure what to do. Are you challenged or not? MMM...
I truly believe that we attract what we give out. If we portray ourselves as different, challenged, not worthy, etc. then others will perceive that and we will attract those ideas. I look at Oscar and, even though he was born this way, he doesn't understand the idea of not being on the same level as able-bodied people and this is the mentality we should all strive for.
And don't forget...Per author Malcolm Gladwell...it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert at anything! Keep striving.
I'm looking forward to new challenges and achievements this year! I went to Austin last week and saw new challenges everywhere :-) Shopping, eating & walking all over the capital.!
And don't forget...Per author Malcolm Gladwell...it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert at anything! Keep striving.
I'm looking forward to new challenges and achievements this year! I went to Austin last week and saw new challenges everywhere :-) Shopping, eating & walking all over the capital.!

2 comments:
Always inspired by your posts!
Love, Mart
Miss you!!!
Post a Comment