So, I mentioned several posts back that I have been accepted into a leadership/self development program. I'm really enjoying it and finding the development process something I needed a long time ago. The learning is in regards to communicating, personalities (good & bad) and how negotiating the art of feedback vs. advice enhances relationships. We have a choice when we get feedback -- take it and learn or choose to dismiss it because we got hurt.But, out of all the cool things we did today and will do tomorrow, it only took 10 minutes to get "real" and "raw". Picture this, a room full of 22 women and we had to pick 2 or 3 and share with them why we admired them. Not so bad, right? Well, the task gets better.
This exercise felt like good cop bad cop. Part two was again, picking 2 or 3 women and sharing with them. But, this time we had to share why we either shy away from them or have not taken time to get to know them. Yikes! It's one thing to write your thoughts down on paper but we had to actually verbalize it.
It was really tough but so liberating if done right. There were a few tears by some but then we learned how to push through those moments and have these tough conversations. Perceptions vs. reality is so much of misunderstanding.
I really admired some of the discussions. Its not easy, but I challenge you to have just one tough conversation this week and then notice how it feels after its done. It could truly be a gift. I'm really proud of the work we did today. Not that I need this test everyday :) but, it can be done.
Love,
Jen

2 comments:
Jennifer, Perception...mine is that you are a beautiful example of honesty and frienship. Love, Mart
Perception vs. reality always gets me in trouble :) Glad you are enjoying this great opportunity. Can't wait to hear more about it. Love ya, Shannon
Post a Comment