
I'm celebrating 3 years with my hubby tonight! What a fast three years it has been. We love good food and celebrated with our tummies! But, not only did we celebrate, we had such an awesome experience I had to share.
So, we enter this great new place with the objection of a one good wine & beer then on to the next place for dinner. But, as we started salivating over the menu, my suggestion was to have an appetizer then dinner at location 2 (undisclosed to me by the way -- all top secret surprise).
So, we enter this great new place with the objection of a one good wine & beer then on to the next place for dinner. But, as we started salivating over the menu, my suggestion was to have an appetizer then dinner at location 2 (undisclosed to me by the way -- all top secret surprise).
The waiter brings out an awesome appetizer dish! But, wait, the fork I was given was so large, it didn't fit into my eating utensil. No problem, Plan B is always to ask for a plastic fork. as they always fit Guess what....they are the only place in town who doesn't carry them (even for carry-out). Our truly amazing waiter says, "hang on". A few minutes later I was treated to a plastic fork that was made for my utensil. The real story??? We found out, without effort, he left the restaurant (his place of work), ran to a nearby 7-11, to make my situation easy. Talk about going over & beyond to make someone feel right at home. Super cool.
As we left we talked about how cool our experience was and how we planned to write the establishment and waiter a note. But then, location 2 happened. We ordered more food, as you do, and I was asked by our new waiter if I needed chopsticks. Of course I'm laughing on the inside thinking of how this moment could be the next Top Chef "challenge", when he noticed my hands.
He looked down at my hands and tried really hard to act like he never asked me that. He moved quickly away and tried to find words. I just said "Oh, thanks for asking, but I have my own version". We just smiled and went on. As the night progressed I realized we had such good people taking care of us & I started thinking of how he felt. When things like this happen, I truly feel bad for them not me. I have found so many ways of getting through it but for many others, it's their first time. He noticed my eating gadget after a while & commented on how cool it was. Also his way of acknowledging the moment without bringing it back up. I understood.
It's this idea of being patient with people & realizing the intentions are usually good. So, patience, understanding & laughter can make every night a good night.
See the strength in emotional vulnerability!!! I'm looking forward to going back.
Love,
Jen
He looked down at my hands and tried really hard to act like he never asked me that. He moved quickly away and tried to find words. I just said "Oh, thanks for asking, but I have my own version". We just smiled and went on. As the night progressed I realized we had such good people taking care of us & I started thinking of how he felt. When things like this happen, I truly feel bad for them not me. I have found so many ways of getting through it but for many others, it's their first time. He noticed my eating gadget after a while & commented on how cool it was. Also his way of acknowledging the moment without bringing it back up. I understood.
It's this idea of being patient with people & realizing the intentions are usually good. So, patience, understanding & laughter can make every night a good night.
See the strength in emotional vulnerability!!! I'm looking forward to going back.
Love,
Jen

5 comments:
Jen,
Your outlook and attitude are so inspirational. I came across your blog through Jamie's (I'm a good friend of Nick's from lawschool), and I love reading about the little things that you always turn into positives. It makes me so happy that Jamie has people like you in her corner!
Jen - So glad you and Nick hsd such a great anniversary celebratin. Hard to believe that it has been 3 years since your wedding here in my back yard. The weather was very cooperative and the wedding beautiful. I'm so proud of you for all you have achieved since - and "hugs" to Nick.
Love,
Gram
Wow, it's like dejavu...I experience this all the time. I have learned to embrace the awkwardness. Congrats on the anniversary...much happiness is still ahead. Thanks for your blog which inspires me!
Merlyna
It is hard to believe it has been 3 years since your dad walked you down the aisle in your Grammy's backyard. What a 3 years it has been. The two of you are so special and so lucky to have found one another. We are so proud of you Jenny..and so blessed to have you still.
Love, Mom
"I was treated to a plastic fork that was made for my utensil. The real story??? We found out, without effort, he left the restaurant (his place of work), ran to a nearby 7-11, to make my situation easy. Talk about going over & beyond to make someone feel right at home. Super cool".
Jen, I have the same blood running through my veins and could not feel more spirited. You constantly prove to everyone that positivity and appreciation goes a very long way. Whomever is reading this, I want you to understand that the world doesn't produce many like Jen, so rejoice it and spend time with her if you get the chance. The rules you've become accustomed to in life probably do not apply in her presence. it's tough to explain unless you are there to experience it. Thanks, Sis, for showing us all the value of life. Godspeed and smiles.
Post a Comment