So what do you do on a day that you feel like doing something for others? Drive to Houston and visit a sweet girl named Jamie.Her story is eerily similar to mine. Jamie's story: she thought she had a bad case of the flu when she went to the emergency room on November 17, 2008.
Much to everyones dismay, she was diagnosed with Meningococcemia, a bacteria which wreaks havoc on the bloodstream. The bacteria had spread throughout her body and was restricting blood flow to her extremities.
Unfortunately, the impaired circulation to her hands and feet caused gangrene and on February 6, Jamie had surgery to remove most of her fingers and both legs below the knees. Jamie has many surgeries to be performed on her legs and hands but she is a fighter.
Jamie will be fitted with prosthetics soon and will head back to school at UT where she will complete her studies in pharmacology.
I was so glad to meet her. She is only 20 and has a lot to fight for. I hope we can laugh at our stories and share tips. :) It was such a flash back for me and made me want so much for her.
Before we got to the hospital, Nick and I had a great lunch and did a bit of Houston/Dallas comparing. The traffic in Houston? Wow, we thought Dallas was bad. We really need to get an airplane. Yeah right. :)
Love,
Jen

5 comments:
Yeah, coming from the Ft. Worth side of the Metroplex where the traffic is lighter...Houston was(and is) a shock.
Here's a hint: avoid I45 by going through College Station to Waco and get on I-35 to head north.
Another hint: contact Jason to see if we can meet somewhere!
Jason Nigg
I cannot imagine a better person to join her through this journey. S&S
Jen - I am so proud of you for going to Houston to talk with Jamie. You just keep on keeping on doing really sweet things.
Love you,
Gram
Glad You & Jamie met. I am in awe of your accomplishments and you are such an inspiration & such a beautiful woman!
jen,
that is amazing...you are such an inspiration and a caring person. it is my dream to meet you soon and draw from your powerful spirit...thanks for sharing and helping me deal with my quad amputations.
love,
merlyna
Post a Comment