Monday

The Small Things

Ever wonder why some of the best things come in small packages or from unexpected sources? I do.

The weather today is not only really rainy and soon to be icy, it is really cold.

However, not a lot holds me back from a good meal, so I sucked it up and had lunch today with some great friends.

I had on several layers when I got home and realized I couldn't get my coat off.

I needed to pull on the sleeves. Guess who comes to my rescue? Our dog who gives unconditional love and is always surprising us with his dedication!

Sky knows the word "tug" so he comes up to me to say hi with a big lick to the face and I get an idea to have him tug!

He stood beside me and tugged on both arms and it worked perfectly.

He, of course, seemed very proud of himself and went straight for the treats before I did. I wish we could use this logic for pay raises! ;)

So, I'm going to use the "small things" as a way to live in 2009. It's not a hard thing to do. For all the small things I have received over this past year I could write a book and it means so much to me.

Make your small things part of who you want to be -- no strings, no attachments -- just because.

Love,
Jen

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I just learned about your story and this blog last night from Carrie Milne. Your strength and courage is well beyond awesome. You are truly an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your journey with such honesty. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take Care, Cathy (Breit) Fisher

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful puppy and indeed a blessing. Job well done Mr. Puppy!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, so glad you have Sky he truly sounds like the perfect fit for you. Between the two of you I am confident there is nothing that you can't do.

Hope you Christmas was Merry, and blessings to you and yours for a fabulous New Year.

LOVE - Nancy Blackman

uncle todd said...

good morning jennifer
hope all is well. i was on the phone with my brother dean after our conversation. we were wondering if you speak to small groups. (3 -15 people)? like a home visit. our idea is to invite you to our dads home ( jamies great grandfather )in plano, to share your story. jamies family is quite extensive. we are in houston, austin, san antonio, colorado and new jersey. at this time our dad is having a hard time envisioning jamies future. he is 81, lost his son,( jamies father ) 20 years ago to cancer and our mother 5 years ago. although he has always been a fighter of positive things, this time he is feeling some of age and his pain. so here is our first question. what do you think about the home visit and inviting as many of jamies family that can come? and just as important to have patsy, jamie, nick, ronnie and kc meet you as well. dean and i have not mentioned this idea to the rest of the family. we look forward to your input to help with this decision.
sincerely
todd schanbaum
stillwaterstudio@earthlink.net
908.334.9311

ps please send me your email address so i can email directly to you.

Anonymous said...

I hope you do write a book! Or just publish your blog!!

Anonymous said...

So true!! I want your lab!!

Anonymous said...

This speaks right to me...

Today I lost my job that ive had for over 20 years. i have no idea what i'm going to do and i have so much debt that i nearly had a nervous, emotional breakdown in my car with my box of my cubicle items.

The business park that my building is in sits in downtown los angeles. another employee (at a different company) saw me crying in my car and she came up and gave me her Rosary from her car.

My new year could have started terribly and i would have been depressed for several weeks if it not for her small gesture and compassion.

Thank you for your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Sky is amazing--just like you! I know you had a wonderful Christmas with your family--. When will you be back in Wichita? Would love to see you and sky. I love your blog--and hope all is well.
Love and a Hug
Kathy

Martha said...

Always amazed at how many people you touch with your experiences. From Betty in Louisiana to Los Angeles you have reached so many people. Am interested about Jamie too! Betty, you have been with us from the start. I hope your life is improving, you have the same positive attitude that is needed to GET ON WITH THINGS!! Jen, I am so proud of you, words can't express! Much Love, Mart

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

It is amazing how the little things in life can change your day. I love to watch my kids eat ice cream cones. Simple yes, but it is great. The other day I was at the grocery store with my 5 year old, we saw an elderly man coming toward us so we both just smiled at him and said hello. As we were in the checkout line he stopped me and told me that he appreciated us smiling at him. Amazing a little smile can change someones day. Your smile has touched a lot of people. Thank you for sharing your journey. We continue to keep you in our thought and prayers.

Tracy Rhea
(The Hall family from Missouri)