Wednesday

Keeping Your Eyes Peeled

I have always had an affinity for the "local" scene no matter where I am and participating in the real flavor of my surroundings.

I like to go to local restaurants, markets, lectures, coffee shops etc. and experience what makes a community thrive.

By Nick and I doing this as much as possible, we have developed a curiosity for things that make me take a moment to go "hmmm..". ;)

Yesterday I was at the gym and looked around to find that Nick and I were by far the youngest in the place. I kinda laughed and thought we missed the memo.

But, as I was pushing the weights really hard and thought this is my last one (my arms were buckling), I looked up to see an approximately 80-year-old guy with a big grin, sweat band, jogging suit and the attitude of a college athlete.

He was working out like a madman! Nick and I both had a "hmmm.." moment. The old man gave that extra boost and I (barely) finished a few more sets.

Then, I started thinking about how many times we look so hard to find inspiration or a way to grow or change things; I thought how simple that "find" can actually be. We all gotta stop looking so hard!

If you think about it and keep your eyes open, it really isn't that difficult. Driving no more than a few miles from my house to the gym, I just started my day by being positive and keeping "my eyes peeled". :)

There is never a certain age, disability, gender or occupation that should stop us from making the best of the time we have. If you're 80 and want to lift weights and run, go for it! Maybe you're a CEO of a corporation and want to resign to run your own coffee shop, go all in!

I really feel like we hold ourselves back too often because of what society may think. At the end of the day, society isn't giving you hugs at night, words of inspiration or self-worth. It comes from within and how we learn from our local community and surroundings.

This week, find a local bakery, adopt a family in need, or just high-five the next 80-year-old you see working out! Supporting others is a great feeling. I know on a personal level how much I cherish all the support I've been so blessed to have. Happy holidays and I will talk with everyone soon!

Love,
Jen

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been inspired and only had to look to my neice, Jamie, who is now fighting the fight that you so successfully fought last year. Thank you for reaching out to this family and being an inspiration yourself.

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome post! Thanks for making me stop and say "hmmm"!!

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more!! I work with the elderly everyday and they never cease to amaze me with their spirit!!

Anonymous said...

Hey great to see you are still updating your Blog. I think might join you guys in Chicago and grow my beard out that long!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is you are so right!!!! And is it just me or do you just keep getting smarter and smarter????
If anyone doesnt already know this Jennifer is really an Angel from God..
Love you snapper
Jill

Anonymous said...

My God. If that old man can run competitive races, its time that I get off my fat ass and get moving.

Anonymous said...

This marathon thing sounds wild..Can I use a bicycle???

Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone!
I love your blog!! First time leaving a message for you but really fun to read!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, just wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas!! In this crazy holiday season I have noticed that if you just smile at people you can make a difference in their day. Something so small and simple. Thank you for your smiles and your posts.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Great post, jen!