I've learned a bit these past few weeks about staying on target and keeping your motivation going. I tend to get questions about staying focused, keeping my head up, and what's next in my life. I've discovered a lot of these answers through writing and observing. I've learned that listening vs. talking gets you farther than you think.
Working with Sky (our new service dog, for those who didn't know) has been fun but it has also challenged emotions that I didn't even know were there. You get a lot of people wanting to touch and ask questions which I'm getting used to. It's not that I mind the dog, it's the mindset of others. I was in a store when I was told that I wasn't allowed to have a dog in this particular place. Rather than jumping on it and explaining myself, I decided to let her learn the situation. I took a step back from her and let her tell me again that I couldn't have a dog. I was a bit conflicted because it was somewhat obvious, but she came up to me again and said "I just realized this was a service dog" and she let it go. We chatted and I understood her lack of education and understanding of the situation.
This is to be expected but, it brought up some uncomfortable emotions. I think I just wanted her to "get it" without drawing attention. However, that is a bit much (and selfish) of me to ask. I realized just how powerful knowledge really is and 90% of misunderstandings and confusion is stemmed from lack of knowledge. So, educate, educate, educate and talk, talk, talk. Be true to your emotions and yourself and you can work through it.
I have also observed my 84-year-old grandmother go through a double by-pass surgery this past week and come out on top. She told me that it was all going to be fine and she's right. She is an amazing woman that took a train from Missouri to Kansas with only a $1 in her pocket to find work and start a family. Talk about inspiring!
I stay on target and keep motivated by my experiences, the love in my life, and the constant opportunities I see to educate and help others. We don't always hit the target but you can't stop practicing and expect to hit the bullseye.
Challenge yourself to educate when you would rather get upset or just want someone else to "get it". It can change the outcome. By the way, I've taught myself to play basketball in our driveway. I had two baskets last week! Look out Kobe.
Love, Jen

6 comments:
Love this! So true about knowledge and communication being important. It was so good to see you this weekend! Have a great week. Keep posting!! Hope to see you soon. You grandma will be in my prayers! :)
Oh Jennifer you are so right!!!! Thank you for always writing from your heart....We have all learned so many wonderful lessons from you.
Love and Miss you,
Jill
You are amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. We're all rooting for you and you continue to inspire and motivate.
Love this post. Things we should all think about. Your grandma is one strong lady. She is such a delight and I am so glad to hear she is doing so well.
I totally wish I could have a service dog!! My dog is a total nutcase!!!!
Hi Jenny--Oh--how I loved this blog. You were right on target--with your comments. Your Grandmother is one tough cookie--and so glad she is doing well. Take care--miss you--Love and a Hug
kathy
Post a Comment