Tuesday

Dinner Reservations for Two, Three, Maybe Four

Have you ever been at a party or just hanging with friends and you start asking the questions like “if you could have dinner with three famous people, who would they be and why?” Well, I recently had that conversation. When I started to answer I realized how different my answers are now than a few years ago.

The first person I would like to meet would be Oscar Pistorius. He is the South African para-olympic runner who made history while becoming the first amputee runner to be accepted into the 2008 Olympics. How much of an inspiration is this? I am fascinated with his determination and tenacity for achievement. I wouldn't run with him but would definitely give him a run for his money with a really fast walk!

Then there is a 64-year-old grandmother. She did a nude photo shoot for Dove at 64! That deserves more than dinner. The fact that she got out of her comfort zone and showed the world her beauty and self-confidence at that age is definitely inspiring.

What about Maya Angelou? I came close on this one. I was at a Professional Women's Conference about 7 years ago and she spoke. She was so full of wisdom. What a lady she was. I would just love to pick her brain and refer to her words for inspiration. Things like: "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." We all need a little of that in our lives.

And, ok, I have a fourth. The grand ole' Willy Nelson. I'm not so much a fan of the music, but more a fan of his persona. Pay attention to the people he attracts. He has the most interesting, eclectic and colorful group of people that just love him. All different genres of music, ages, nationalities, etc. The guy can hang with a local farmer, famous political figures, Snoop Dogg and just did a new CD with Wynton Marsalis.

Agh, a fifth! Bono. Need I say more? The ultimate humanitarian! I'll have another update soon, have a good week!

Love,
Jen

5 comments:

Matthew Whipple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Whipple said...

That is a great post Jen. Some good examples of people who make a difference. I think it all comes down to who is interesting. Your list is very interesting, not to mention seasoned. What makes people interesting I think is when they let go of an ego and avoid self-righteous ideas and try to share a common human philosophy, which is understanding and happiness. Oscar Pistorius seems like an amazing example of courage. Again, this was a great post. Always making us think aren't you sis?! Birthday suit Dove lady could stir up a quality convo on being uninhibited. Maya is on another level all together, lets be honest. Maya, "what are your thoughts on the current state of the global economy"...Well, "Matthew, the wind that blows westbound is exactly why the parrot knows the ancient currency" ...Exactly Maya, I feel the same way! She really is as deep as the abyss and very interesting. I assume Oscar will be televised and am looking forward to it! You continue to be the strength that fuels us, Jen....Mateo- Out!

Anonymous said...

Ya Great post!!! Lets see if we can get any of these people to get in touch with you...You never know what could happen.
Love you Angel
Jill

Anonymous said...

Great picks!! I'd have to add Ghandi in there...or maybe YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jen! The true meaning of life. I've been keeping up with your blog ever since my Louisiana principal shared it with me. Your tenacity and attitude are contagious. Your journey is a mirror image of hers. She became ill on our first day of school last year (2007). Reading your blogs and witnessing my principal's story unfold has really changed my life. I thank the two of you for your inspiration. My Dinner reservations would include the two of you together because I know I would walk away with the greatest gifts of all and that is love and contentment. Thank you for sharing your journey. May you continue to persevere and conquer!