Yesterday I had an appointment to discuss my hands and look and what is to come. Truly amazing how real they look and how I can have my fingers sized to fit my wedding ring.
I'm about 6 weeks away. Out of the 1 1/2 hour appointment, there were 3 minutes that really stuck with me. We discussed what was important to me as far as functionality and he told me about a few patients who really wanted to be able to open a door, do gardening, etc. and I thought, AMAZING.
I'm in a category with many of his patients and what is important to us is all different. When we all had hands I promise we never thought about the importance of what we had. As you go through your day think about every little thing you do and you can pretty quickly determine what you can do without. It can be liberating if you can allow yourself to let go!
So, after people have prosthetics how do they take life to the next level? This is where my efforts will be placed for a long time. I have established the P.L.A.Y. Foundation (Positive Living for Active Youth) to allow those with amputations to become involved with sports activities as a way to build the self-esteem and confidence while going to the next phase: living life! This will be truly official in about one week.
It is very exciting to be able to reach out to the community and see all the faces of those who have had an experience that we can all learn from. I am finishing the logo and behind the scenes details but will let share it all with you as soon as its here. I will have an interview process and be able to connect with those who are wanting to grow and understand what this is all about. Really looking forward to this!
I have a busy week and will keep you up to date as the week progresses.
Have a fantastic day!
Love,
Jen
Friday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I'm so excited about your foundation!!
Hi Jen,
Your foundation plans sound really neat and I'm glad to hear that your final prosthetics are on the way!!
Sooooo exciting!!!!! I knew you would do great things Angel..
Love you
Jill
So glad things are progressing so quickly! You deserve great things and you will help many people. . . . can't wait to see the results. Love, Shannon
JEN!!!! Need a new post my friend!!
Have a great weekend!
Hi Jen,
I am so amazed by your story mostly because it is almost identical to my story. I learned of you from a friend of my mom who lives in Dallas. I am an elementary school principal who has also experienced a life changing illness. My septic shock happened on 8/17/07 and I am still in recovery. I am presently awaiting my temporary prosthetic legs and wearing my stump shrinkers. Doctors are still trying to save my hands and I'm not sure what will happen. I'd love to email you and get to know more about my journey to walking. It was amazing to read your blogs and see myself in them.
So glad to read your success story...it motivates and inspires me to keep my spirits up. Thanks for sharing your story. I will keep following your story. I'd love to help with your foundation!
Wow Jen..I am so excited about the last post..just that you have touched someone with similar circumstances..we need an update!! Like soon! Hope all is well and want to hear more about the foundation! Is your assist dog coming soon? How is your job coming along? Are you doing the same work as you did prior to your illness? Keep us updated girl!
Hey all
Jen is having problems with her internet but will hopefully be giving us a update real soon!!!!!
I am sure she will have great stories to tell.
Love to all
Post a Comment