Ever been to a Mardi Gras & Masquerade ball? Well, Nick and I went Saturday night for a fundraiser and had such a fun time. It's interesting meeting people for the first time with masks on—they all seem suspect from the get go. :)The night was to benefit Limbs for Life and everyone seemed to benefit in more ways than one! This organization benefits those who can't afford prosthetic care and people in impoverished nations.
This night really opened my eyes to those who are behind the scenes supporting people in a situation like me. When I was in rehabilitation, I talked to a board member—Craig Gavras. I had several people talk to me when I was in the hospital and hey seemed to be in a different place than I was, both mentally & spiritually.
Then, I was introduced to Craig. He lost a leg and had the best attitude and a very active lifestyle. This guy took a cycling trip, with others, from Oklahoma City to Austin—oh, did I mention this was after his accident? When he talked to me I remember feeling that "yes" feeling and remembering that I needed to surround myself with others like him.
This night really opened my eyes to those who are behind the scenes supporting people in a situation like me. When I was in rehabilitation, I talked to a board member—Craig Gavras. I had several people talk to me when I was in the hospital and hey seemed to be in a different place than I was, both mentally & spiritually.
Then, I was introduced to Craig. He lost a leg and had the best attitude and a very active lifestyle. This guy took a cycling trip, with others, from Oklahoma City to Austin—oh, did I mention this was after his accident? When he talked to me I remember feeling that "yes" feeling and remembering that I needed to surround myself with others like him.
So, talking with Craig gave me one perspective but the organization sounded as if they really did great things. Then, we go to this annual party and I realized about 400 people who thought the same thing that I did.
Everyone was in great costumes and were ready to bid on some really cool items. Needless to say we went home empty handed but had a great table to sit at.
One observation I had was actually about me. They showed a great short film on what a person goes through after loosing a limb. This is the one piece of this experience that is really mine and really personal. This was harder for me to watch than I thought it would be.
I don't see myself as challenged until I see a film such as this which brings out all the emotional stuff that I work through on a daily basis. It made it much more real but gave me the venue to be vulnerable around some people that could really relate (very few amputees were there). It was a nice evening among great company. Support is something that is truly priceless.
I don't see myself as challenged until I see a film such as this which brings out all the emotional stuff that I work through on a daily basis. It made it much more real but gave me the venue to be vulnerable around some people that could really relate (very few amputees were there). It was a nice evening among great company. Support is something that is truly priceless.
Another observation is the fact that there really are good people in this world—you just have to make the choices to surround yourself with these type of people. I have to admit, God has helped to surround me with some of the most supporting and genuine people and for that I can only feel blessed. But, for those times that life seems to be a bit off, seek the opportunities that can build that support, don't just accept.
Not to be cliché, but don't take things at face value. Don't just follow the crowd. Don't accept life as it is. If we did that we would never get anywhere. If no one said that we needed a solution for prosthetic care, we wouldn't have Limbs for Life or all the other organizations.
Treat yourself like your worth a million bucks and your heart will lead you in the right direction!
Love,
Love,
Jen

5 comments:
thanks for the great post jen! you are so right. love ya, shannon
Another beatiful piece Jen. You have such a gift. So as I read this piece, I kept thinking that this IS the place for your change. What a difference every penny could make and how great would you feel for giving your change in support of something so near and dear to you. I am so thankful you are in our lives, S&S
Another wonderful post! You go girl!
Jen, You have always had amazing gifts..and for a reason only God knows, these events are how He wants you to show whoever encounters this blog, a better way to live. You teach me everyday. I love you and can't even put into words how proud I am to be your friend.
You are awesome!!!! God bless you Jennifer and I love you...
Jill F
Post a Comment