Not to worry if a turtle looses a flipper! There was a sea turtle—named Allison—who was found on South Padre Island missing 3 flippers.What is the solution? Prosthetic flippers—how awesome! Rather than swimming in circles (talk about getting sea sick), Allison will now have a "direction". These are apparently made from the silicon that is used from human facial prosthetics.
According to the Dallas Morning News, she will be the "first sea turtle to get a prosthetic but not the first animal. At least two dolphins have been fitted."
I would love to be a marine biologist (in another life) and am fascinated with the world that lives below us. Now that scientists are working on something like this, it makes me feel like the possibilities are endless!
As slow as turtles are, perhaps they can speed Allison up with these flippers and make her life just as rich and fulfilling as with regular flippers! I wonder if the turtle and dolphins with prosthetics will be an inspiration for a new exhibit at Sea World? :)
Love,
Jen

8 comments:
Cute story. Don't you wonder if it feels natural to them? I'd love to see how they give instruction on use/physical therapy. S&S
I'm sure you've heard this before, but you are an amazing person to share your story and your life so openly. Thank you. It truly is a testament to love and not sweating the small stuff!
OK..now I am at a loss for words! How special and endearing that you can make all of us care about the plight of a sea turtle with all you are enduring in your own life! I hope this little guy and his prosthetics can be a beginning to finding a new help for you..thanks Jen..you made my day!
Carol
I love that turtle! How neat to read this today..and how special to read the article from the Hutchinson, Ks news..what a small and special world we live in Jenny..can't wait to see you soon!
Love, Mom
I heard about this on the news! I guess it just shows that nothing can stop the power of the human spirit!
I had no idea they had prosthetics for turtles!! That is so cool, my daughter is going to love this story.
Awesome article in the Hutch paper...you are so incredible. Wow about the turtle...amazing! Had a sad day today...one of my friends found out her mom has cancer and it doesn't look good. I got on to gain strength from you and your posts. You are an amazing, strong person who I am thrilled to have re-connected with. Still living vicariously through all your neat new adventures! :)
Turtle prosthetics, oh my!, what will they think of next?
Peace my friend,
Diane
Post a Comment