For starters, my hands are doing a bit better but sill pretty tender. We ended up working on both hands but the bulk of the work was on my right. This was considered a "reconstruction" surgery for prosthetic fitting. If your curious as to what my hands will look like you can check out silicon hands on the web. I don't have a great photo as of yet or I would share with you.
It's all about change update—I am up to $88 in savings with my change. I can't wait to make my first donation. I had several recommendations to read the book Christmas Jars as it is about a similar concept. Very good read and I just found out that it is being made into a movie in 2008.
As Nick shared below, I have had a great opportunity to meet a wonderful 5 year old, Marcella, who lost both of her hands & feet due to a staph infection which turned into meningitis. When we met, she looked at my hands, then hers, but never asked me any questions. We played catch for quite a while—I wish the Yankees could have seen us. :)
She doesn't know she is any different and her spirit was amazing. I have been asked to go with her on her next doctor appointment and hopefully start to educate and get her to the best care possible. I feel really blessed to be doing this.
She doesn't know she is any different and her spirit was amazing. I have been asked to go with her on her next doctor appointment and hopefully start to educate and get her to the best care possible. I feel really blessed to be doing this.
My biggest fear was somewhat conquered this past week. I received a call from a company after the Dallas Morning News article ran, asking if I would mind sharing my story with the sales team. I thought about it for a day or so and then just said 'yes'. For some of you, this is probably no big deal. However, let me give you a little history on my speaking apprehensions.
When I was in high school and college, speaking was a requirement. I never did understand this—why torture people? Both times, I took it my senior year with all the freshman—how uncool. They all thought I had flunked and had to retake it. Then, to add to an already bad situation, I would ask the teachers if I could give my speeches to them privately.
I would get an answer like "uh, doesn't that defeat the purpose?" to which I would reply "what exactly is the purpose of being so nervous that you can't talk, upset stomachs and a bad grade?" Somehow I ended doing about 50% to the class and about 50% to the teacher. The art of negotiation is beautiful.
I would get an answer like "uh, doesn't that defeat the purpose?" to which I would reply "what exactly is the purpose of being so nervous that you can't talk, upset stomachs and a bad grade?" Somehow I ended doing about 50% to the class and about 50% to the teacher. The art of negotiation is beautiful.
So, how did it go last week? Great! I had such a good time. I think once you get started it becomes easier but I just always had the problem of getting started. Anyway, thank you so very much for wanting to hear my story and for giving me the tools to make my first time easier than my college days.
Swimming—still loving this. But, my hand can't get the chlorine so I'm on hold for a while. Pilates—Donna & I are getting ready for the seminar/workshop February 8-10. There are still spots available. Just go to Traditional Pilates: The Essence of Joe. It's going to be fun!
Human connection—Just wanted to share a quick story. I was out yesterday and went into a store where the sales lady starts spending time with me. After about thirty minutes she says to me "young lady, how did you hurt yourself?" It was a really sweet way of asking me what had happened. When I explained it to her she shared with me how she had lost her husband a few months ago.
I really felt for her because you could tell how much of a connection she had with him. I have the opportunity to engage in these type of conversations more & more now and it just seems to enrich my life everyday to know that I am learning the core of who people are.
I really felt for her because you could tell how much of a connection she had with him. I have the opportunity to engage in these type of conversations more & more now and it just seems to enrich my life everyday to know that I am learning the core of who people are.
I have had a few relationships that were surface or superficial that weren't very challenging. These intimate conversations are really what life is about—the real human connection. I guess I have changed, in more ways than one, but I hope this can become contagious.
Have a great rest of the weekend. I have more coming!
Amour,
Jen

8 comments:
All I can say is WOW..you just keep raising the bar for yourself..and all of us. I am so proud of you and the way you continue to push past your fears and reach new heights for yourself..can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
Love, Mom
Wonderful posts! It was good to hear from your husband jen!! I get so excited when i read how well you are doing. when you started to make the "transition" from your hospital days into the world again i have to be honest and say that i was nervous for you. reading and following this for so many months i feel like i know you. whenever i sit back and pray for my family and yours i always think how wonderful your story is and am so proud of where you are today!!!!!!
I completely see where you are coming from with public speaking. Congratulations on Conquering that Fear!
Go Whipple!
Hi Jen. I've been reading your Blog for several months (after several employees had mentioned it) and wanted to leave you a comment. Because of HIPAA laws in my industry, I can't reveal much (as we all have experienced already at MCD) but I wanted to share with you how unusual and unique your stay/recovery was. Optimism, yet cautious estimation, is always a priority within any Intensive Care operation. However, your condition became so grave, so quickly that as medical professionals, your outcome realistically was dim for survival. I want to tell you with all honesty, humility and professionalism, that the real miracle that fueled your fight and where you are today had all to do with your heart, your family and friend structure and a dedicated medical support system that assisted your persistence and bravery. May you continue to be brave and flourish as a human being.
Jen - How cool was that post from Doc. Love the new picture of you and your two Matts. S&S
Way to go!!!
It just occurred to me, after reading about Marcella, that I know of a boy who went through what you have gone through. He lives in PA down the street from my parents and he has a pretty amazing story as well.
Here is an article if you are interested...
http://www.oandp.com/edge/issues/articles/2007-07_09.asp
Just thought I'd share! Congrats on conquering your fear! I think you're awesome!
Post a Comment