Wednesday

I'm In a New York State of Mind

I saw a great performance last night by Billy Joel. Whether you like him or not the music was so great. While I was there, I looked around and saw how many people seemed to be in such a great mood. There were big smiles, dancing and laughing. Music seems to connect so many people regardless of their social status, race, or handicap. :) By the way, I discovered that when I got excited and wanted to clap, I had to find a new dance move instead!

Being happy is truly a state of mind. Billy Joel has had some really rough times. At the end of the day, he is human, just like us. But, he has chosen to get back out and smile again while making others forget about everything just to watch him.

I want to expand your thoughts onto someone that Nick introduced me to. Jigme Singye Wangchuck was the king of Bhutan in 1972 and started the GNH or Gross National Happiness. It is an attempt to define quality of life in a more holistic and psychological way than what the traditional Gross National Product does.

Like many moral goals, it is somewhat easier to state than to define. Nonetheless, it serves as a unifying vision for the Five Year planning process and all the derived planning documents that guide the economic and development plans of the country.

While conventional development models stress economic growth as the ultimate objective, the concept of GNH claims to be based on the premise that true development of human society takes place when material and spiritual development occur side by side to complement and reinforce each other. The four pillars of GNH are the promotion of equitable and sustainable socio-economic development, preservation and promotion of cultural values, conservation of the natural environment, and establishment of good governance.

How cool would it be if we could just have one week to focus on what is really important. All the meetings, phone calls and stress can be put on hold. We need a concert, laughter, hugs, and true spiritual connection.

Next time you are out, take note of the people around you. We are all connected in a way that the wireless companies, computer companies, and technology companies think they understand, but it's the one's who want less, laugh more and connect through the heart who might just have it right!

I don't want to be anything other than what I've been tryin' to be lately.

Love,
Jen

7 comments:

Marilyn and Randy said...

WOW..sounds as if you had a wonderful evening and have had a lot to think about and share this week. I know there are many people who read what you have to say and who don't comment...it is just so great to know how far you have come from those dark months this spring..we are all so blessed and proud of you. Have a great weekend...Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hiya Jen - I'm so jealous (and happy!) that you got to see Billy Joel in concert. I'll bet it was FANTASTIC!! He is one of my favs!

I've been reflecting on what you wrote about GNH. What a great concept! We're all so hung up on the almighty dollar and businesses thrive on out-smarting and screwing each other. This theory has a more holistic approach that includes the human element. One that is so often ignored when chasing $$$.

Thank you for enlightening me...and the rest of us.

Peace my friend,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Hiya Jen - I'm so jealous (and happy!) that you got to see Billy Joel in concert. I'll bet it was FANTASTIC!! He is one of my favs!

I've been reflecting on what you wrote about GNH. What a great concept! We're all so hung up on the almighty dollar and businesses thrive on out-smarting and screwing each other. This theory has a more holistic approach that includes the human element. One that is so often ignored when chasing $$$.

Thank you for enlightening me...and the rest of us.

Peace my friend,
Diane

Gaylin aka Big Momma aka Mother Muffy said...

Test, Test, oh....test

Gaylin aka Big Momma aka Mother Muffy said...

ok, i finally got this thing to work again!!!! Sounds like you did have a wonderful week. It's icing here and it's soooo cold, just don't want to even leave the office and go home. Honestly, Jen, you do more than anyone I know. I am so happy for you that you get to experience good things, you are so deserving and so many people love and support you. We should tell everyone how much we love each other and depend on each other. I have paid it forward a few times this week...We should be more mindful everyday that we do something nice for those who cross our paths. May you continue to influence and inspire...Love you Mother Muffy

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Anonymous said...

i hear yee alan greenspan!