It is Sunday evening and so cold. I'm with blanket and hot chocolate and thinking about my family and what a great time we had for Thanksgiving. I discovered a great game called Catch Phrase. Anyone know it? We had so many people playing and so many laughs it felt like a game show. It was loads of fun. Little Matthew was great; it's scary when a 9-year-old stumps you. :)
How about watching old family videos and sharing the cool 80s hair and very scary clothes with your husband for the first time! I think he is still traumatized. :) The family started watching and I felt like I could watch them for hours.
For the answer to the big question: yes, I beeped all the way through airport security. However, it was all handled so graciously that it was pretty much uneventful. The hockey game was more exciting! Also, we did get an early snow and I realize how much I do miss it!
This was my first holiday with my "new look". I had many, many thoughts running through my head. Before I share, you probably need to know a bit about my family during the holidays. Laughter, groups, jokes, traditions, food, love, friendships, food, and did I say food? :)
My family is not exactly quiet or shy and we have been told that we are like the mob.
That being said, I use to be much more involved than what I felt I was this year. I want to thank Christy so very much for taking care of things when I can't and for being so good to my family and mom. Your the extra special addition to everything. As everything happens for a reason, I truly feel that God placed Nick in my life and you in Matt's so that there was support in place for what he had planned.
I took in so much from this visit and really noticed the smiles, love and real friendship that is within my circle. I have to say that it is a bit tough not being able to help with certain festivities and be that person that people used to ask for help. I felt as if I was just an observer, which is fine but just a change/adjustment. I tested a lot of drinks and had good conversation.
The thing that is to be said is this: everything that has got me to this place in my mind, heart and soul was started way over 50 years ago with Bob and Eleanor meeting, falling in love, starting a wonderful family and being the best grandparents anyone could ask for. They raised three wonderful kids, one, my wonderful mom and the other two, my close friends. I looked at the photos from this week and think how awesome how two people started a great, great thing.
I also noticed this week that patience with emotions is a very powerful tool. Allowing yourself to feel the changes and to absorb the differences brings you closer to yourself. The first step to moving past a new feeling/emotion/experience is to allow yourself the patience of the emotion.
I have so many things I want to do by next years holiday but I have to experience this first. I'm not used to being in the background. Even though everyone understands, I know that it's extra work for others now and I truly want everyone to know how much of a team this is. I love you all so much.
I read your comments all the time and can't tell you how many days this gives me strength. Christy from Dallas: please let me know what is going on with your mom. My thoughts are still with you.
I hope everyone had a great holiday. Before I sign off, I thought I would also share a laugh with you all. Click on this link for a holiday boost. It's Nick and my brothers, and oh, me too. :) (http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=9605131896)
I will write again soon!
Love,
Jen
Sunday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Hi Jennifer (I always think of you as Jennifer rather than Jen because that's what Shannon always calls you);
So happy your Thanksgiving was so much fun and you had a safe trip back home.
I haven't written for a while but still check your blog every day and love to read your inspirational thoughts and day to day happenings. You have touched so many lives and educated so many about how a person can deal with physical changes and emotional feelings and still be a loving and valuable asset to family and friends and even strangers.
I would feel honored to hopefully meet you some day as I truly admire you for being such a strong woman.(Maybe some day we will both be in Wichita at the same time for visits with our families).
Take care; keep swimming and driving and finding more challenges to conquer. My prayers are with you....Nina W.
Once again Jennifer you have made me cry with all of your beautiful words and the love that shines though you brighter than the sun!!!! I just have to say Thank you for sharing your heart and soul to so many people I am just so happy to know you and be a part of your life once more...Can't wait to see you in a few weeks and hang out with my two wonderful soul sisters!!!!!
kiss kiss, God Bless
Jill
Hi Jen.....I am so glad you got to come to Wichita for Thanksgiving. I know how much your family loved having you here. Sorry I missed seeing all of you but everyone that saw you said you looked so beautiful.
Take care and give Nick an Matthew a kiss for me.
love you
Margene
Hi Jen---I know you had a wonderful time over Thanksgiving--and we thought about you and your family. I laughed out loud at the video you posted--had to watch it twice----so FUNNY!!! Take care little sweetie--Love your blogs--you are doing so well and you should be so proud of yourself!! Love and a Hug---------Kathy
Jennifer,
I got a phone message from Darin Leap, in a voice reserved for serious matters: “Hey, remember Jennifer Whipple from high school? Well she’s been sick and it’s a terrible story. She has a website describing everything…”
So I log onto the site and read it head to, well, toe (I know, very bad form – some things never change). I was struck by a few things. First, what a sudden and tremendous tragedy. It is startling how quickly life can change. Secondly, several words kept repeating themselves in the posts such as love, hope, blessings and prayer. These were embedded in implied themes: perseverance, strength and faith. These themes and words were constantly repeated throughout the saga as the story unfolded. Never did I detect a sense of anger or resentment or doubt. For this you should be proud to have the family & friends you do. How easy it could be to fall into that trap; a trap from which many have never recovered.
You have been on an astounding journey & I suspect you are only at the middle stages of this Shakespearean tale. The early chapters have been tragedy. The middle chapters appear to be enlightening & victorious. We all look forward to what is next. Darin was wrong – yours isn’t a terrible story. It’s becoming quite a beautiful story.
Loss’s partner is gain. What’s important in that transaction is recognition of what you gain through loss. You have lost your feet but gained footing. You have lost your fingers but gained a firm grasp of what’s important in life. I’m tempted to repeat others and tell you I’ll keep you in my prayers. However, it is quite apparent that you are the angel among us and I should ask you to pray for me.
Happy Thanksgiving Jennifer Griffin.
Jason Nigg
Okay - No idea who Jason is, but he sure has a way with words. Maybe he can write the forward to that book we keep asking for. So glad you had a great Thanksgiving full of family, fun, and friends. S&S
I loved what Jason said about loosing your footing..fingers but gaining so much. That was such a powerful post..it was great having you, Nick and Little Matthew home..first time in 11 months..!!
Hope your swimming goes well this week..I know you are looking forward to meeting Shannon and Jill in KC next weekend..hope you 3 tear up the Plaza! We continue to be so proud of the woman you have become...
Love, Mom
WOW Jen -- Your friend, Jason, said it all! If only I was more eloquent, I would expressed my feelings as well as he did...it brought me to tears.
You are, for sure, one of God's special angels.
Peace my friend,
Diane
Mother Muffy checking in....boy did you impress me while you were here. You are alaways smiling....just like always and there isn't a quite momoent with brothers, friends, family around. Thank you for our time, as you are an inspiration and a joy. Glad you had a angel (or an angle) that smoothed your way thru the airport. Isn't life fun! You just open your heart and the most wornderful people walk in. I love you and miss you already. You looked "Hottttt" this week and I was so glad to see you smile, smile, LOL! Don't get too hung up on people waiting on you, you participate in a total different relm....you were born to be the princess (or a married man in the 50's:that totally was taken care of the instant his feet hit the floor....hee heee)....Love you and want you to enjoy the season. Pray for your continued strength. courage and smile. With hugs and kisses to you are YOUR Kingdom of smurfs. Mother Muffy
Hi Jen:
My twin sister Sabrina told me about your blog...
I wanted to tell you that I have a prayer team at my work and my church in Fort Worth praying for your continued healing and endurance. What a wonderful example of God's love you truly are Jen and you lift us up with your thoughts which are inspiring the world around you. Keep on smiling and the world will smile with you. JESUS SENDS HIS LOVE!
In His Hands,
Katrina
P.S. If you ever just want to talk, let me know in your blog and we can keep in touch. I have someone at my church who you may want to talk to, His name is Mal and He is a miracle just like you, recovering from circumstances last year simular to yours.
Ok Jen..time for an update..how was your week back in Dallas? Anything new with your assist dog? and, how are swimming and Pilates going? Love to hear what you have to say...
Post a Comment