Monday

News From the Griffin World

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was full of family, laughter and food. :) I feel like all we do is eat.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that for anyone who is trying to swim: YOU CAN DO IT. If I can, you can. Swimming is going well and is a real sense of 'wow'. I can do the backstroke without any support. Even though I have a ways to go I was very surprised at what can be accomplished without hands and feet. It is a very strange feeling in the water but when you hold your breath, use your shoulders and forearms, anything can happen! I hope to have some pictures soon.

Pilates is still going well. Ellen: thank you so very much for your wonderful comments. I am happy that I am able to share my story with so many and feel so blessed that people like you are praying for me.

The golf tournament on Friday was fun. Mom and I rode in the golf cart following Nick, Matt, Dad and Richard. Again, this was for Limbs for Life. Because of product liability reasons in the US, the medical community cannot reuse or recycle prosthetics. This company provides these prosthetics to people who can't afford them outside of the US.

Also, I have several things going on in the background but are surprises for later. :) I am not just working out these days. I have discovered ways of living life that I never knew I could do before! It's great.


What awesome comments on the last post! Betty from Louisiana: good to hear from you again. So happy that you may have a house soon.

I wanted to comment on a post from Christy in Dallas. First of all, I want to commend you on you having a relationship with your biological mom. Adoption can be tough from many sides and it's neat that (regardless of how it happened) she is in your life. The fact that she is going through something so tough is a reason to understand her.


I hope I can answer your question. Start right now, as you read this, to understand that God has stepped into your mother's life also and the reason will show itself at some point. I never really knew what was being said but could feel loved ones around me. I don't know if it was just intuition or what, but I could feel their presence. I know how hard it must be to want her to acknowledge you but she will. My advice to you is to read and understand as much as you can. She will need your strength. Thank you for sharing, she is in my prayers. It is strange that you got in touch with my blog before she got sick. Please let me know if I can be a help to you or her in any way!

I really hope to help as many as I can and I thank everyone for the love and support, it's amazing.

News on my hands: I am going to have a minor out patient surgery on my right hand to shorten the length a bit. This is for prosthetic and cosmetic reasons. My recovery time is pretty minor so I may have prosthetics after the first of the year. This will hopefully be the last time I see the surgery room. Talk to you soon.

Love,
Jen

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

suprises? do tell. please, please, please . . . i have no patience. ahhhhh. it's going to drive me crazy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, glad to hear you had such a good visit with all your family. Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see you swim! How cool!
A note to Christy - I have been thinking about you since I read your post from the weekend. My prayers are with you and your family. I hope your mother improves very soon! Hang in there! Congratulations on your house Betty! We talk about you from time to time so it was good to get an update from you.

Matthew Whipple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Whipple said...

Jen, you are helping many people in many ways. I can't even explain how much I admire you and sit in amazement everyday at how you have taken control of life instead of letting it control you. It's unbelievable, seriously.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny! Just a note to say that I'm thinking of you!!! I love the first picture on the page. (of course I'm drawn to the earrings!!)

Please tell Nick Hello!! Miss you as always! Love shani

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Jen. A lot of people think about you daily and I am so proud of your determination there really isn't any way to express it. I'm anxious to hear about your surprise!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
So great to know that you are touching so many lives and you can help others through difficult times.. You are one of Gods angels and I am so happy to be a part of your life!!! Love you and miss you so much
Jill F

sarahpoinsett said...

Hey Jen- just checking in, I'm very excited to see you over thanksgiving, I will be back on tuesday night and, unfortunately have to leave on thanksgiving night. Anyways- looking very forward to talking to you, I love you like fish love water :o)Keep trucking, you are such an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jen,

It was so good to read your blog and feel the positive energy you exude! You are truly amazing!!
Sorry I haven't written in a while----I 've been making frequent trips to Tyler lately checking on my parents. My dad was in the hospital for a few days (complications due to type 2 diabetes). He seems to be feeling better now, but will probably have to consider dialysis after the new year. Anyway, I just wanted you and your family to know how much we love you all and that you remain in our thoughts and prayers.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and keep those positive thoughts flowing!

Love,
Vicki and Randy

Unknown said...

Hi Jen,

I wanted to touch base to tell you thank you for your kind words, prayer and encouragement. Hearing from you that you could feel the warmth of your loved ones when they were present was very comforting.

Tuesday morning my mother had a tracheotomy, more dead tissue removed from the area where they took her leg and dead tissue removed from her arm. Praise God that she did not lose her arm!!!

Yesterday they performed a procedure to prevent blood clots and another procedure to help with developing pneumonia.

By yesterday afternoon she was responding intermittently to commands that her nurse was giving her, such as open your eyes wide or shut them tight if you are in pain. I cried tears of joy! I am being told to not get my hopes up but to remain hopeful, if that makes sense. Most of the time she is still in a deep sleep.

I have done lots of research on septic shock and find it frustrating that we may never know exactly where or what triggered the infection. She did take a hard fall in a Publix grocery store three weeks ago. There was water by the freezer case. However, we don’t know if she received any cuts from that. Research tells me that even a bruise could trigger this chain of events. I don’t quite understand that, but I still have much to learn.
Were your doctors ever able to pinpoint the source of your infection?

We learned today that infectious disease specialists will be going into her home to investigate. Please pray not only for her healing, but that God will shine His light on the source of her infection.

Shannon – Thank you for your prayers for my family and myself. As you can see from reading above, the many prayers are working. God is so good!

Wildest Blessings,

Christy

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Jen-----So happy to hear that you are swimming! I have always been a water brat--and know the wonderful freedom and peace you must feel. Thinking of you and want to wish you a Happy Turkey Day----! Curious on your surprise-----------LET Us Know! Love and a Hug----------------Kathy

Anonymous said...

Jen...You are one awesome lady. I sense something big on the horizon. Can't wait to hear about the surprise. We are thinking of you everyday and continue to be inspired by your every new discovery. Christy , please know we are keeping you and your Mom in our prayers. Jen will be a wonderful resource for you as well as inspiration.
Love you, Jen,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Mother Muffy checking in....I miss you so much and enjoyed our little time together, I am looking forward to seeing you on Thanksgiving. I hope your trip is smooth flying. Keith and I will be here so we look forward to a family get together. When are you scheduling surgery? Continued prayers, you can't believe how you touch the world.....you are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skys are blue....
Love gl

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen...we need an update!
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family....(smile)