It's late, but I can't sleep and have been thinking of all of you. I read the blog from the beginning (which I have not done yet) and have become filled with emotions that I thought were gone.
As I read through this I felt so blessed and humbled by all the love and support; friends/teachers from high school, very cool. However, I realized that a part of this story is missing. As much as I post I haven't really told my story of being in the hospital.
So what was it like? How does it all feel? There is so much of the beginning that I have no recollection of (dialysis, bleeds, etc.) so I will start with the first thing I remember.
Even though my eyes were closed, I could always tell when someone special was close to me as I always felt warmth around my body. I could feel hands on my hands but never knew what was really going on. My first real memory of "coming to" was seeing my mom at the end of my bed smiling. Nick was, of course, by my side. I remember preparing for surgery and having my dad tell the doctors "she understands" as the doctors weren't so sure.
The ventilator was one of the hardest things I had to do. I was working so hard to fight for my life but this was a period of real doubt. I knew that my life was in serious question and the ability to push myself played a huge role. I have told my loved ones this, but there was a moment that I laid in my bed, so tired and frustrated, that I almost let go. It was so hard to breathe. I had to literally talk to myself and say, one more breath. During this time I had a very personal experience which lead me to understand that I could go to the other side but it wasn't my time. So, I chose to breath as hard as I could and pulled myself out of it.
Not being able to talk to the people that meant the most to me was so difficult. Nick tried so hard to figure out what I was saying ― as did everyone. I needed my husband so much but couldn't tell him.
Once this passed, it was time for surgery. I could see that my hands/feet were becoming necrotic but never considered the word "amputation". I remember thinking that there must be something else they could do but never felt scared ― only a sense of peace that it would be alright. The day of my surgery, April 25, 2007, I was in good spirits and just remember telling the nurses that it would all be okay ― and it was.
The most painful part was taking grafts from my thighs ― OUCH. The layer of skin is so close to nerves that the pain was just unbearable. However, this is where I learned the art of pain pills. :)
After surgery, Nick and I shared some really special moments and started talking about how we were going to do this. As with my parents and family, it was really hard seeing them watch me knowing how hard it was for them. My family was so solid and was good at getting me to fall asleep while mom and Martha would sneak in a Sprite. Not eating for weeks was a real downer.
It wasn't until I tried to use my hands or felt like walking, that I felt like an amputee. My mind was always in another place. Denial, maybe? Whatever the case, it kept a smile on my face.
I did have a day (or two) that I had a great deal of anger. I had so much done to me, so many scars, and absolutely NO control. I was trying to regain some sort of control and it was very hard.
Deep down in my heart I was talking to myself about rehabilitation. I knew that if I could get well enough to get to rehab I would be okay. I could get back into exercising and build up my strength. I had such great people around me that kept me going.
Fast forward to leaving rehab and coming home. I had been in a protected environment for so long that I was a little apprehensive. My first experience was going to McDonald's with my dad and I received a few looks. All I could think of was how it was making my dad feel. It's strange how you start to think of everyone but yourself.
Coming home was really scary ― for everyone. So much was unknown and I still had not mastered so many things. My entire life and how Nick and I used to do things had completely changed.
Do I get scared? Sure. Do I get sad, frustrated, or mad? Of course. But what I never give up on is the belief that we are all here for a purpose ― regardless of what we look like. I didn't plan on this but somewhere along my journey in this life a spiritual guide asked me to take a different path. All I can do at this point is embrace it and allow this path to guide me.
I don't ask "why me". I just ask for guidance through tomorrow and to give me the power to help others. Pay it forward ― I have days that I feel normal and days I feel challenged but it's never about "why". Too many special things have come into my life since March 23rd ― it's just the beginning.
Thank you all for giving me the memories and comments to reflect on. It means so much to me! Goodnight.
Love,
Jen
Thursday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
Once again, you have started everyones day with insight and inspiration. Thanks for sharing. Judy
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story. That had to be both hard and rewarding to relive all of the trauma you endured through the blog stories. The love certainly does shine through though. Can't wait to give you a big old hug tomorrow. S&S
I love you Jen!!!!! And your strength will guide you down this new journey of life...ALSO WITH GODS HELP...
You are a star shinning so bright that it is leading all of us to you and all of your beautiful words. You will never know what a blessing you are to me and how lucky I feel to have you in my life...
Thank You Jen!!!!
Love, Jill F
Awesome post! You are a source of motivation and inspiration for many people ― many.
Jen -
I can only hope someday to meet you. Your strength, determination, and spirit is inspiring.
I wish you only continued success as you continue in your life's journey. It is okay to cry, get mad, or frustrated, as long as you keep moving forward. Don't be afraid to share those emotions too, when you need.
You are buoyed by the love, prayers, and gratitude of all of us who read your blog and think of you daily.
I hope you can share your story with the world - we all can benefit from the lessons you're teaching us and the spirit that moves you, your husband, and your family.
God bless.
Jill - I continue to monitor your blog and marvel at your strength and courage! Geez, where did you come up with that? I can't even begin to imagine all you've been thru but you have met your challenges with such grace. I am humbled by your ability to overcome such odds. Keep up the blog. It's an inspiration to so many. And later when you're ready, why don't you write it all in a book? Love to you and yours, Phyllis Guinn (P.S. how do you put on your makeup anyway? I have enough trouble as it is!)
Jen- I'm sure I have said this before, but I am blessed and honored to know you. You are truely amazing. If all of us had 1/100th of your spirit and attitude, this world would be a much better place.
Love,
Michelle Hilliard
Wow, Jen. It was uplifting to hear your side of the story!! Those early posts were our only way to communicate with you and all the people supporting you. I am glad you could feel the many hands touching you when you were so sick. You have shown me not to hesitate, embrace life, friends, family and strangers as who knows what tomorrow will bring. Love you so much, Martha
Jenny, You continue to inspire me. I thank you for sharing this very personal journey with us Jen, it gives me alot to think about everyday. God's presence is abundant and he has blessed all of us in knowing you. You are an amazing woman Jen and so full of Grace. Thank you for sharing and know we continue to pray for your healing and we love you.
Pam
Mother Muffy checking in...well...again you put me at a loss for words. But I knew the minute I walked into your room and you started doing the "dollar dance" with your tiny bandaged hands, with a Cpak still covering your mouth and I could see those sparkling blue eyes and this huge smile, you were going to "make it" My first reaction was to fall to my knees and pray and cry. I did cry but hopefully you didn't see me, I laughed with you and came directly to hug and love you. To check the tubes, wraps and to see for myself what "they had done to you" I was prepared and had a peace fill me that I can't understand, that I wanted to be by you, to touch you to love you and that's where the massage begin. Your body was ravaged and everything hurt...but you never complained. You had Gwen as your wonderful nurse that day and she said your kidneys had started working and shortly after that...they were working to full capacity, again the power of the body, mind, love and prayer.
During my stort stay there you and Marilyn let me stay with you most of the day alone. I loved it and wanted to stay for weeks. I helped bath you,groom you and wash and fix your hair. We slathered you in great smelling lotions and put on a beautiful gown given by the Muffy's...you were working so hard to breath and to keep the pain undercontrol. But when they took that tube out of your mouth, you had a "voice". Not just to talk but to question, request, learn and to controll the progress and recovery and care around you. We talked about "your voice" and what it would mean....I never knew the wonderful writer you have become and maybe because you labor to type..it gives you many hours to think before you "speak". Oh, Jen, you speak so well.
I was taught there was power in love and in prayer and strength in numbers of love and prayer....this is the first time I have truely witnessed and been impacted by "the Power".
We open this blog daily to our link to you...keep on writing and tell everything that you remember and the feelings...there is still more, much more.
I must go this morning and start "Parade of Homes" check your email and we will set a date. I love you and pray for your daily as I wear my Jen braclet as my tribute and my reminder to love more and pay forward.
Love to you and Nick and to all the people in Dallas that help you on a daily basis....we would have never know many of them, it's a miracle in motion.....
gaylin
It is so wonderful to hear your reflections on those long months and weeks and to hear again..how you made a conscious decision to fight. One of your doctors told me that your survival was based on many interventions, but that your basic spirit played a huge part...you WANTED to live so badly and with the support of all of your family and huge circle of friends and prayer you pulled it off. As he said, she is fighting a war and needs an army to help her..well "General Jen", you lead the troops well! :>
I like everyone else am so proud of your determination but also agree, it is OK to cry and get angry and let down..we all do...what counts the most is how quickly you can get back in the fight.
What a year you and Nick have had..I doubt that you will every forget what you were doing on your 1st anniversary..but one day you will look back and marvel at the journey you have had together.
Love you, Mom
Wow that was an awesome read!
Jenny---You are amazing--Thank you for sharing your story. You are always in my prayers sweetie. I do hope things are going well for you and Nick and your loving family. As always--Love and a Hug Kathy
Great posting Jen!!!!!!!!!
Still praying for you and lots of others are also.
love - the blackmans
Jenny: How generous of you to share this with all of those who care about you. I will never meet anyone who is as beautiful, generous and inspiring as you.
Love,
Steve
Oh My Goodness!!! Jen, you are amazing. Thank you for sharing your story, you are such an inspiration with so much strength and courage. We continue to look forward to your post. Keep up all the strength and determination and we will continue to keep you in our prayers.
God Bless,
Eric & Wendy Dunn
Jen - Thanks for a great weekend. We so enjoyed sharing time with you and Nick and little Matthew last night. And how about all of those wonderful people none of us had ever met before who came out to meet you and enjoy some BBQ with you. Tom & Marie and Sharon & Greg sure know how to throw a party. By far the best time I have had in a long while! It was great to see you and little Matthew enjoy the pumkins and the wonders of the fall festival this morning. You may never be the same after viewing Spider Man in his suit. We are so thankful for every moment we spend with you. Your beauty and love and courage always shine through. Keep up the good fight Jen. We love you. S&S
Hiya Jen – I hope you’re doing good this evening. I am so humbled by what you wrote and it reminds me of my first visit with you in Medical City just after you’d been released from ICU. I was nervous and didn’t know what I was going to talk to you about but I wanted to visit you and let you know how much I cared. You took the helm and wanted to tell me what had happened to you from the beginning to where you were then. What still continues to amaze me about that visit was it was YOU that made ME feel good and at peace. That is exactly the opposite of what I had intended by my visit…I wanted to help you.
This is a recurring theme with the people in your life. As you make your way on this new road, you are touching, helping and pushing all of us to new heights. What a wonderful and powerful force you have become in all of our lives!
I feel compelled to comment on one of the statements you made in your post: “During this time I had a very personal experience which lead me to understand that I could go to the other side but it wasn't my time.” This reminded me of my mother during her last days and watching her beg to have the vent tube pulled out and then struggle to breath and live after it was. She was fighting so very hard to stay alive but my sister and I knew she needed to go. She was 84 and had lived a long and fulfilled life, with many ups and many downs, and it was clearly her time to go. But, she had always been a real fighter and strong-willed woman who was way ahead of her generation in many regards. So, she was not going to just give in to the “let it go” feeling. She finally passed less than 12 hours after Linda and I told her it was okay to go. Here’s what I’m getting at…if you hadn’t had the strength or will to carry on and your loved ones had given you permission to go, you probably wouldn’t be here today showing the world what a phenomenal woman you are.
With each beat of your heart and each painful breath you took, you were surrounded by the love, hopes and prayers of your family, friends and many people you will never meet. In my wildest dreams I can’t begin to fathom what you must feel day-to-day, but what I want you to feel is love and support. You are the epitome of strength and I am truly blessed to know you.
Peace my friend,
Diane
Finally getting to meet you and enjoy the great outdoors on a beautiful Sunday was a special treat for me. And what a joy Matthew is! Your blog and all of the comments is such a daily inspiration. I feel blessed to meet you and hope it is the first of many, my dear. Judy (Scott aka Spiderman's Mom}
It can be such a challenge to let go of the minutia over everyday living and keep our spirit on the big picture of living and loving. Thanks for the reminder and for the challenge of Paying It Forward. I'm so proud of you Jen! Love from KC! cd
Hi sweet Jenny..........I lost the blog for about 5 days but being the computer expert that I am, someone helped me get it back.
What a wonderful story you told and I am so glad I was able to be there for part of it. You are truly a blessing to all of us who know and love you and a great inspiration to everyone.
I love you
Margene
We need a new post Jen!
Post a Comment