Hello all...it is 11 pm and Randy and I are getting ready for bed. We had the most interesting conversation with a lady named Karen Shoutz, from Waconia, MN...outside by the pool at the Residence Inn. She is here with her daughter for a week and when we explained why we were here, she was so kind and so uplifting..gave us lots to think about and encouraged us to keep the faith we have in God. She also told us to be thankful each day for one thing positive that has happened with Jen..and that really spoke to me. God does use people in mysterious ways..Karen is one of those ways.
Today Jenny was able to sit up for a bit longer and ate a bit more. Her spirits were good and she actually watched American Idol with me...and liked the Beat Boxer guy the best! :>
Nick's mom Marie comes in tomorrow and I am sure that will lift all of our spirits! Australia is such a long flight..but we are so appreciative of her being able to come.
Cecile and Ann from Bent Tree visited for a long time and that was so much fun. They have really adopted our family and it is such a comfort to have them near.
Jenny's goal is to be able to sit up long enough on Saturday when Jill and Shannon
come so that Jill can "fix" her hair. What a treat that will be!
Randy has rented a car and will go back to Wichita tomorrow for a bit. He is leaving me our car to I will try and tackle the Dallas traffic until my sister Martha gets here on Saturday..wish me luck..it is brutal!
Good night dear friends..I will fill you in tomorrow..thanks over and over for hanging with us..I just can't wait to print everything for her to read one day..real soon!
Marilyn
Tuesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Jen,Nick,Marilyn and Randy,
Jen, what a surprise Ann and I got yesterday when we arrived at the hospital. Getting to see you and your beautiful smile. You have been such a fighter through the past 7 weeks and what an inspiration you have been to all of us. I know from the bottom of my heart that you and Nick are so blessed to have found each other and that you and Nick will have the most enduring marriage for all of us to model our lives after. He adores you beyond belief.
Thanks for letting Ann and me come back to see you Tuesday. We have so enjoyed meeting your parents (and brothers,aunts,uncles,and all your Kansas friends) and we really do want to be here to help you and Nick in ANY way we can. And I really do mean that.
We will be back to see you soon....
Marilyn, please do not hesitate to give us a call if you need us while Randy is gone. Ann and I will drive you anywhere you and Marie need to go.
ANd for all you girls from Wichita, Thanks for sharing you wonderful friend, Marilyn with us. We may not let her come back to Wichita. Ha! Or maybe you can invite us for one of the lake outings. See all of you soon.
Cecile
Martha, we are looking forward to your return this weekend. Drive carefully
And to all of you friends and family from Kansas, we have not had much sunshine here in the Sunshine State. It feels like we are in Mobile,Alabama...very muggy. And another day of rain. I hope these lakes are getting full, beacuse I am ready for several days of sunshine!!
Sounds like Karen was heaven sent and able to encourage you in many ways. Amazing thing - the kindness of strangers. There was a wonderful interview this morning on GMA with a man wounded in the war. He had such an amazing attitude about his injuries. If you missed it, maybe you could go online and see the interview. You are remembered everyday in the prayers of many in Abilene, TX. Think one day at a time.
LeMoyne Odell
Jen - As I drove to work this morning a song came on the radio that made me think of you and Nick. Having read his sweet posts to you, it just seemed so perfect for the two of you. I've posted the lyrics below. Enjoy. I hope you are getting stronger each day and that you are finding some happiness in all those strawberry flavored treats. Steph and Scott
Lyrics for: Amazed
Every time our eyes meet
This feeling inside me
Is almost more than I can take
Baby when you touch me
I can feel how much you love me
And it just blows me away
I've never been this close to anyone or anything
I can hear your thoughts
I can see your dreams
I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I want to spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby, I'm amazed by you
The smell of your skin
The taste of your kiss
The way you whisper in the dark
Your hair all around me
Baby you surround me
You touch every place in my heart
Oh, it feels like the first time, every time
I want to spend the whole night in your eyes
Chorus
Solo
Every little thing that you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I want to spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby, I'm amazed by you
Jen and Nick..........everytime I read this blog,which I do about 3 times a day, I can't believe how much love, kindness, support and angels are being sent your way.
Jen we are all so blessed to have you and Nick in our lives and witness first hand what the two of you have been able to endure because of your love for each other and your faith in God.
Marilyn, I feel so much better being away from you knowing that Ann and Cecile are looking out for you. I felt like I had known them forever and are now dear friends to me also. It is just a good thing I am not there because I couldn't pass up the donuts Walt brings everyday and would end up having to go to eaters anonymous. What a lovely sight that would be.
Jen I love you and hope each day is better than the last. Keep smiling and the whole world smiles with you.
Margene
Hi Jen and family - This week is dragging by. I can't wait to come to Dallas again to see you. Jill and I are getting a lot of things together for you. It will be a great girly time on Saturday. I hear Sara may be there too. I can't tell you how much I miss talking to you on the phone. You have been one of my closest friends since the third grade and I have never, ever gone this long without talking to you. When you moved to Dallas I was so sad thinking we wouldn't be as close but distance did not stop our friendship. You are such an important part of my life, truly my best friend in the whole world and I love to read this blog and see all the great support you have. It helps me feel closer to you. You have always been there for me and I hate that I can't be there more for you. I would love to be just a short drive away. The weekend trips are not enough. I wish I could jump into that bed and take it all away for you. But what I can do is appreciate the great friend I have and appreciate all the blessings we have around us. Funny how everything in the world looks so different now. I can't wait to see you this weekend. The weekend won't be here soon enough. Love to you all! Shannon
Marilyn,
Just talked to Erin and Ketrin and they said Jen was asleep while they were there---they were very happy to see you, however! I hope that Randy and I will get to see you guys on Sunday. We are planning on coming to the hospital sometime after noon.
Marilyn, I know how hard all of this has been on you, but please know that you are not travelling this road alone. Not one hour goes by that I don't think of all of you and wish I could be there in person to help ease some of the pain. Through the power of prayer, the gifts bestowed upon Jen's doctors, and the unbelievable courage displayed by all of you, I know you will make it.
We love you and hope to see you Sunday.
Vicki and Randy
Hi Jenny, Its Wednesday afternoon and we are counting the days until we see you. The girls have lots of things planned and are so anxious to spend time with you. I love the fact that so many old Maize friends are writing on the blog, it proves just how lovable I always knew you were. I am really looking forward to spending some time with your Mom and seeing you. You are constantly in our prayers and Bib said Hi and we love you bunches.
See you Saturday,
Pam
Dear Jen & Nick,
I’m a friend of a friend who has been following your progress since before the blog started and I want you to know that you guys have been so inspirational to me over the past couple of months. Jen, the way you fought the initial infection, hung on despite the odds, and won the incremental battles that you face every day. Nick, your unconditional love, filled with longing, patience and care fills me with awe. The greatest testimony to the type of people you are is this blog and all the people who have been fighting with you, giving their love, time, prayers and support to the two of you. You are a remarkable pair!
You’re coming to the point where this fight is going to be as much an emotional, spiritual and mental effort as a physical one. Jen, there will be days when you don’t feel like smiling and that’s okay, you don’t always have to. Your life is going through an extreme transformation and there are just a lot of things you’re going to have to figure out. I hope both of you will pick out friends you know you can turn to at different times—friends who pick up your spirits with smiles and laughter, friends you can confide in without fear of judgment and sometimes just friends who can sit quietly with you when you don’t want to talk but don’t want to be alone. You’re not always going to need the same things from the same people. We’ve drawn incredible strength, inspiration and perspective on life from what you’ve been going through—don’t be afraid to call on us and lean on us at the times when you need it! And don’t hesitate to turn us away if there are times when you just don’t feel up to being around people.
Job is usually remembered for his patience and for the fact that he never turned his back on God, despite his suffering in body and mind. But much of that book of the Bible chronicles his questions and challenges to God and to a group of not very helpful acquaintances (not friends!)—how could this be happening to me, a righteous man? Ultimately, God answers him by saying that there are things that we can never understand as humans. But there’s a verse I like at the end of the book that many people overlook:
All of Job’s brothers and sisters and everyone who had known him before came and ate with him in his house. They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the Lord had brought upon him, and each one gave him a piece of silver and a gold ring.
Your brothers and sisters are here for you and ready to laugh with you, cry with you, comfort and console you, give you whatever we can of all that we have been given to make sure that you have all the support, love and care you need—and Nick, that goes for you as well. Please don’t hesitate to call on us.
Graham
I love you Jen and I can't wait to get back down there. After school finals I'm coming for several days before summer school starts. I miss you and am excited to be able to have a long conversation once I'm there! <3
Jen, Nick, Marilyn & Randy,
What a life changing event you are all going through. I am continually impressed by your strength and wonderful circle of friends and family that support you immensely!
Jen, I remember so well your years at Maize and what a fun person you were to be around. I can tell you have turned out to be a beautiful adult from everything I have read on your blog. God has been so kind to bless you with such a devoted, loving and wonderful husband.
I cannot even imagine everything the entire family has been faced with...but Jen is one amazing person to have fought so hard and be where she is today.
My prayers are with all of you. Please know there are probably many, many people reading your blog that have not put in a comment. I have read it for several weeks and wanted to let you know I am had you in my prayers and think about how amazing you all are.
Gaylee Dolloff (Kimery Sands mother)
Jen and family, the brief visit with Jen today was precious as she was going to sleep. I didn't stay but a few minutes, but she wouldn't let me leave without asking about our daughter who went into a court-ordered rehabilitation program the day before Jen entered hospital. Ironic. Yet Jen shared her caring spirit to meet my needs. Somehow, the similarities are disturbing, but also comforting.
Several have appreciated my earlier poem, so here's another:
Hope in Faith
When problems persist and faith falters faint,
Wherein does hope abide?
We seek for answers, for solutions, respite,
But problems persist, us disdain.
When the body is weak, the mind confused,
We can’t easily perceive beyond pain,
Yet, “where there’s life, there’s hope,”
Faint glimmers of light may flicker through dark,
Bring smiles to sadness’ side.
Confined by circumstance, imprisoned, contained,
We peer through the barriers, and strain
To see through the fog some meaningful shape
For the lonely end to our train.
Perhaps through a friend, a father or mom,
Or even a stranger by chance,
Through a gaze that’s intense, or a casual glance,
We grasp at a straw, though it’s flimsy at best
And beyond our exhaustion, find rest.
Though tired to the bone, and sick to the core,
Our extremity tested, can’t stand anymore,
Expressions of care, good wishes from friends,
Seep into our being, strike chords of relief.
When others reach out, they touch us within
And past all that we’re feeling, turn frowns into grins.
So never forbear when suffering you see,
To offer your presence, to be there is to be
Love in the present to heal disbelief.
There’s no explanation that makes rational sense
For the power of prayer, the synergy of love.
It comes from beyond us, within us and through us,
It’s real though ethereal, as from heaven above.
But passed through earth’s agents, it’s no less than true,
That love given’s received, and sadness is shrove,
Humanity restored, peace alights as a dove,
And comfort comes to calm us, sustain and assure,
And that which seemed tainted is forever made pure.
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1
“And now faith, hope and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13
--In the power of love, Bill Matthews
Jen, Can't wait to see you!!! Just one more day and I can finally give you and big hug!!!!! Long overdue. Love you and stay strong.
Jill F
I have been in Dallas one week and cannot believe the strength of Jen,Nick,the Whipple family and their friends.
When I arrived Jen was hooked up to all the machines possible while still smilling.
She could not relay talk or eat. Since then I have seen her talk and eat even though she was having physio and still in some pain
She has gained her independance through these things that some of us take for granted .I look forward to seeing her every day.
I cannot believe the strength that she has given me and am grateful she is part of the Hannigan family (the Australian side).
Nick and Matthew (grandson) have gained strength ,such a loving and fascinating as the Whipple family.
Since I met Jen I have been lucky to have her as a daughter-in-law and am looking forward to her coming to Australia and meeting the rest of her family
Love always Marie (mother-in-law)
Post a Comment